Are you a people person? If not, have you ever done/said something horrible on the job?

I must admit I have zero people skills. Every job I've had was in retail or customer service of some sort and I used to live in denial and think everyone was just stupid but realized I have very little patience and do not like being treated poorly, which is common in retail jobs.

I think the worst thing I've ever done on the job was throwing a drink at a lady in the drivethru. She saw the customer before her's dog jump all over my arms when handing her the food and assumed that I made her drink and didn't wash my hands. So I flipped when she told me to make another drink, cursed at her and threw the drink at her. Miraculously I didn't get fired, even after throwing my headset across the tile floor and breaking it from being so pissed off. Looking back now I was completely ignorant and out of line. I'd probably have asked for a new drink too! I was young and stupid, long before I was a mother.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I was 16 I worked at a Pondersosa. Some lady was giving me dirty looks and saying things like get me another drink now? So I poored a pitcher of water on her head. And said Oh my I'm so sorry, not. I didn't get fired either....ha.. I should of handled it better but whatever. Live and learn.
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Concerning on the job, nope I don't like the people I work with, they are know-it-alls and think they are the boss. I work with all women and that isn't the best thing, back stabbing nasty people.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I actually love customer service, and have never had anyone be overly rude to me. Diffusing situations comes naturally to me.

I have let a few not-so-friendly things come out of my mouth, though. Once, when I was a teller at a bank, a man and his wife came up to my window and we had a bowl of suckers sitting next to my desk. He said "Oh! I'm gonna have a dumb-dumb!" Before I could even think about it I said "You are what you eat, sir." He glared but his wife cracked up! Another man was always give us guff, joking around just a little too hard. He came in and said something about how riding his motorcycle on a windy day was a bad idea and how his face hurt. I said "Yeah, it's hurting me too." lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• QandA

I have to agree with you on working with women. Cut throat. LOL  I never want to do that again.

Anonymous

• LOL ati:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I'm ashamed of this now but when I worked in a corporate office I demanded my boss give me some of his cold medicine because, I said he had given me his cold.
    Anonymous

• It was my last hour on the job at McDonalds. And some lady had sent fries back twince because they were "too cold." Which was bull because I had JUST pulled them out of the fryer. Like I pulled them from the grease, salted them, and put them in the thing myself and handed them to her. She could see me the whole time. So she threw the hot fries at me. She's lucky she didn't burn me I'd have sued her ass. So I started to scream at her about how she was an obnoxious nuisance....then proceeded to throw her drink at her. I walked out right then and there.

katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Ok you need background first to understand why i was so angry at this woman. I worked my butt off in high school. I was going to school, working a full-time job, and pursuing the dream of being an actor on-stange. I graduated with a 3.7 GPA. I AM NOT STUPID!

So, I was working in a resturant that was attached to a truck stop. A new truck stop employee had a crush on my manager who was taking her order while i was cooking. she kept changing her mind about what she wanted and her order was so confusing that I couldn't figure out what she wanted. I shouted out "I can't figure out what this says!" She turned to my manager and said "maybe you should learn to read then, huh? *giggle*" I flew around the corner and was like " Bitch! Don't you F*#^&@g tell me I can't read! You don't know a damn thing about me! *more explitives*" Manager shoved me in the office and locked the door from the outside so I couldn't get out and punch her!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I actually LOVE working with people! It comes naturally to me, I guess and I've always been a peace-maker, so I can diffuse tough situations quickly. I used to work at a jewelry store (btw, I firmly believe EVERYONE should HAVE to work in retail at some point in their lives!) and I knew more than many of my co-workers because I had been there so long, but I still had people who would judge upon first appearance (I look younger than I am), so I had many times where I would hand a customer off to one of the bosses and let them bring the customer back to me, just to prove that I was, indeed, the expert in what they were asking about! I always loved watching the smug, smart ass looks leave their faces!

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I am very people friendly. I just grin and ignore nasty people in public. I was a cashier for 4 mos. and after just a month was made 3rd shift cashier because of how well I did with the customers. I was constantly complimented by my customers. I have 2 sons who are cashiers and 1 is super with the customers and the other would rather bring carts in from the outside because people annoy him. We're not sure where he gets in from because my husband is a mail carrier and he's also a people person, very friendly and cares about his customers and never gets nasty with the irate customers.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2009