My 1 yr old is too attached to me!

I have a 1 yr old and he is sooo attached to me that when i leave the room just for a second he cries his eyes out. He won't really go to anyone else but my immediate family for a short period of time before he cries for me. It's getting really bad to the point where I can't do anything for myself without him crying. How can I get him to depend on me less?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• welcome to motherhood! i think its just a phase.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• This is so normal. Boys tend to be even more attached longer than girls.
    It will taper off as he gets older.

If you need to leave him, don't sneak out. Kiss and hug him goodbye. Tell him you will be back. Let him see you get in your car, if possible...and wave with a smile.

It will get better, I promise!
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My 17 month old is like that too. I am his world it seems, I am privledged to be so important to him. However you need time to do things yourself as well. I leave him with his dad or his older sister to go somewhere he always cries but then ends up having a good time.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i agree with all the above posters.
    It's a phase.
    NEVER sneak out! ALWAYS let him know that you are leaving
    And yes, it is a privilege to be so important but you do need your own time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• If you work during the week or baby spends a lot of time with other caretakers, it is expected that he/she will learn not to trust you will be there. (Not trying to be harsh, just illustrate their reality )
    I agree with what other posters said; ALWAYS say goodbye in a happy way, make goodbye a common thing to say to people too...like at the grocery store or leaving a toy behind! It may help take the pressure and distress off of it a bit.
    Your baby needs you and that is okay! In fact, that means you are doing a GOOD job. He wants you there. It is healthy and required that a 1 year old be connected to his mother...so that is not bad, just make sure you have some time ( a little) each day to relax. Remember, they only want you around for a few years...then you may have to run after him for attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2009