thrush in baby's mouth

My baby is 6weeks and 3 days and has thrush..He just finished his 2 weeks medicine of nystatain and he still has thrush. I was giving him 1 ml on each side of his mouth 4 times a day. After the first week it looked like it was almost gone and now it looks back to the way it did in the begining. I only breastfeed so I have also been putting the meds on my nipples. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue...

harrisj86

Asked by harrisj86 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go to the pharmacy and get gintian violet and use a very little bit and paint the babys mouth (it is bright purple so make sure baby is in clothes that are ok to stain...it doesnt come out of fabric) in my experience with 3 babies who all had thrush at one time or another i have only had to apply it once for each bout. but sometimes you may have to apply it again after a few days.it is all natural and works so much faster than the prescriptions and it costs under 2$ as apposed to the prescription witch usually costs around 20$. and if he also has the infection as a yeast infection on his bottom use anti fungal cream. another reason he may still have it would be if you are breastfeeding you can get it on your nipples, it is just a wierd itch, in whitch case you paint your nipples as well with the gintian violet.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I wish doctors would learn that Nystatin worsens the problem!

Gentian violet is a great thrush treatment.

Kellymom.com has info on how to use that, and other thrush remedies.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2009