How are you supposed to clean your nose?

When I married my husband I found out that his nose cleaning technique is to stand above the sink, gather water in his palms, sniff the water up his nose, then blow it all out.
Well, my technique was to stand above the sink, scoop out the dirt and wash it off my finger under running water.
Now that time comes to teach my toddler how to clean his nose I am lost. What is the appropriate way to clean nose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I say either just blowing into a tissue or the way you do it
    Anonymous

• Wow now I feel really dirty because I don't "clean my nose" except to blow it... If it's been an especially windy, dusty day I will sometimes dampen the tissue w/water and give it a whirl after blowing but thats about it... guess I'm a big help! I'll be checking back to see others answers because now you've got me wondering!!?
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You can also buy this thing I don't know what it's called but it cleans your nose and helps you breath better, you can ask the pharmasist at your drug store
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I know what it is, the neti pot. And how is my toddler supposed to use it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Hahaha. This question is interesting. It's not something I have thought about. I'd just teach the kiddo to use a tissue... what your husband does sounds a bit painful and difficult for a child. Sniffing water up the nose isn't pleasant. I wouldn't show him how to pick out boogers either. He'll start doing it all the time. Well, he will eventually discover his lovely nose treasures and go digging anytime and anywhere. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Twirl the corner of a tissue/washcloth and swipe it around the outside of the nose.

BTW, Neti pots aren't for toddlers. I believe the recommendation is for 5+
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I never realized you had to teach someone how to clean their nose. No one taught me, you just learn on your own. Just teach him to blow. My DS is 18 months and already blows his own nose. Sometimes if there's some crusty ones int here that won't come out, I squirt saline spray in there to loosen it up. I would not suggest the water thing, that sounds harsh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Under normal circumstances, a nose is a self-cleaning apparatus.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I believe the nose actually cleans itself, so just blowing it when needed is fine.
    Anonymous

• Um, you blow it...into a tissue...that's all the "cleaning" it needs...and a neti pot is for the sinuses.
    Anonymous