Is 4oz every 4 hours too much for a 2 week old baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• most babies wont eat more than they need, he may just be having a growth spurt.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Feed your baby what he/she will eat. They'll stop drinking when they're full. I believe it's usually about 2oz. every 2-3 hours so I don't see the difference. They need the calories right after they're born. Call and ask a lactation nurse at the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Nope my 3 wk old is drinking 5oz every 3 to 4 hours! His ped said its fine plus the bigger the baby the more they eat! My son was 8lbs 2oz when he was born he now weighs ova 10lbs! Was your baby big when s/he was born?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• That is exactly what my baby did. She is now 2 months old and eats 4 to 5 oz every 3 hours, sometimes she still goes 4 hours.
    Anonymous

• babies will eat what they need/want. nurse/feed your baby as often as s/he is hungry and let him/her eat as much as they want.
    at this point in the game, you need to nurse/feed on demand.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• She was only 6lbs 1oz and at her week appt she was 6lbs 8oz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• The recommendation of most health organizations is 1 oz per month of age. So if you child is less than a month old they should be drinking 1 oz at a time.

Babies have a very strong sucking desire and will continue drinking even if they're full. That's why it's so easy to over feed a bottle fed baby.

Also my nephew is 3 months old and was drinking 4 ounces of formula every 3 hours. His pediatrician said that my sister was over feeding him and recommended giving him 3 ounces every feeding. And making sure he was actually hungry not just fussy for another reason. He said if my sister continued feeding him that way he would be on his way to becoming obese.

I would ask the pediatrian what their opinion is on the subject.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I would say no. When my children were babies (a long time ago, they're all adults now) they ate 6-8 oz. from birth. My 3rd child was 11#'s at birth and the nurses flipped because he was eating 8oz. every 3-4 hours but when he didn't spit anything up they changed their tune. In 4 days he gained instead of losing. As adults none of my children are obese and none have eating issues. They just happened to be hungry babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• my 2wk old was eatting 4oz ever 2 hrs now he's 3wks and is eatting 4oz 2-3 hrs and he has put on 2lbs since he was born so i would say it's just fine his doctor thought it was great he was putting on weight so well
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 9:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009