Children and death of a loved one.

So, as many of you regular CMers know ...my mom died 6 months ago and DH and i are keeping and raising my little brother who will soon be 5 years old.

So, he and I have had several talks about Mom and what happened and where she is now etc. etc. On the 6 month mark of her death him and i did something special to honor and remember her. And we talked for a while about what happened the day she died. Well, sense then he's been asking me to tell him what happened over and over again. Sometimes he repeats it, making sure he got the details right.
I only tell him the basic details. And he rarely asks for more, But WHY is he doing this? He made me say it 4-6 times after nap time today. And wanted to me to do it again right before bed.
and like i said, it's not like we haven't discussed it many times before.
has anyone here experienced something like this? or know anything about child psychology?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well unfortunatly the best thing for him is to just be honest and talk about it as much or as little as he needs. about six months ago my 7 year old found her aunt who had od"d on pills, and i tried taking her to a counselor which she didnt respond to, so the only thing that has helped her through is being able to talk to me whenever she needs.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Something like this is very tramatic for a child, have you taken him to see any type of counselor?
    I commend you for explaning to him what happend. And just out of curiosity, what did she die of? That might have something to do with the tramatic-ness of the whole thing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• anon
    he has not gone to therapy in the sense that he sits and talks to someone about his thinking. But we have PCIT, which is behavioral therapy for children ...because he has behavior issues (and he always has).
    She died of "mixed drug intoxication". ...which means that she was on several medications and one of them was not supposed to be mixed with the others. ...but it was, and the result was fatal.

And i have told him that too, (but in more simple words) ...because she died in my bedroom and he thought that my room caused her death. I don't want him thinking that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2009