Any tips on getting a 17 month old Toddler in bed by 8:00 pm?

CJWASAPREEMIE

Asked by CJWASAPREEMIE at 12:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it takes several weeks to build a routine at that age but you just have to consistantly put him or her to bed at the same time every night. within a couple of weeks it will simply be what he is used to. my 3 year old actually asks to go to bed if i let her stay up too late.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Another good thing to do is start a "quiet time", about 30 -45 minutes before bedtime, and after a warm bath. Turn the lights low, TV off, and maybe read a book, or anything that is slow paced and relaxing. Soft music in the background is good too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Oh my goodnes, there is hope after all! Thank you so much!!! :)
    CJWASAPREEMIE

Answer by CJWASAPREEMIE at 12:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• create a routine. eat dinner. have a bath. read a story, sing a song. get the last drink then go to bed. ...everyday. be consistent and DO NOT give in. If he gets out of bed, put him back in bed without a word.
    I had to do this with my DS at 18 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Rountine works wonders. It helps when they know what is coming. Also make sure he is getting up early enough to be tired by 8pm. My son gets up between 7-8am and we start unwinding for the night around 7:45 and he's in bed by 8pm. All I really do is dim the light and watch a movie with him while he drinks his milk. A little cuddle time. Then I just put him in his crib and say night-night. It took us awhile to get to that point. He used to go to bed around 11pm. I just gradually moved it back and found that 8:30pm bedtime was the best for us.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• What worked for us is to make sure he is up by 7:30 am the latest! My DS would sometimes sleep until 9am if I let him...so waking him up in the morning if it was needed would ensure the daily routine timeline :)
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 1:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Hi, my kids are on a pretty consistant schedual.My baby(14 months) goes down at 7 pm. What I've been doing is first of all get him in the regular sleep patern .He goes to bed early and wakes up early(between6-7am). At Night he has dinner plays ,poops, then takes a bath in the Huggies lavender bath wash, dress him give him a bed time bottle and put him in his crib.He snuggles up to his stuffy and go's to sleep.If you stick to your guns anything is possible! My other 2 ,4 and 10 go to bed at 8 pm on the dot every night.Except a movie night, or if we say other wise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i got home from deployment and had to train my 14 month old to go to his own bed at 7pm.. 5 months later he goes straight to bed on his own without me doing anything but saying go to bed. BUT it was one to two weeks of him crying straight through the nights because i was also training him to sleep in his own bed.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 11:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• start a routine about 30-45 minutes before. like a bath or a story or a small snack. same time every night. your child might cry but its only due to a new schedule.me 3 year old just lays in his bed and falls asleep. we started this around 12-18 months of a routine. if your child gets up just lay your child back down.
    monstermansmom

Answer by monstermansmom at 2:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You just need to have a normal routine, Like with my daughter(17months) we eat dinner at 6pm everynight then play around the house then at 730 we have milk and some animal cookies and then bath time then in bed by 8pm. She has had 8pm as her bedtime since she was born. Just a few changes since she started sleeping through th night. But you just need a normal routine. And another thing make sure there room is dark. It helps with there internal clock remember ok this is bedtime. and in the morning open the curtains so it clicks that ok this is when i get up! Hope that helps!
    emmaleib

Answer by emmaleib at 1:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009