First haircut...how and when did you do it?

So the 18 month old DS is now getting called DD and nobody in the family thinks its funny any more.
When did you decide to get the first hair cut?
How did you do it?
THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• In our family, it is tradition to get the first hair cut after the first birthday. And then it is saved in an envelope in the photo album for remembrance.
    My grammy started it, my mom did it, and i will do it. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I cut his hair about after 24 months, I cut his hair, and it is always a screaming, crying, fussy experiance now he is over 4 years old and still have problems with hair cut time
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• do it when you want. my sis cut her first sons hair when he was oneand he had beautiful curls that never came back. her second son is three and has beautiful curls that she just ties back and he looks like a boy.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I did it once, when my daughter was like 10 months old. Alot of crying, I read this article that they think the barber is like a doctor so they tend to freak out. Well the second time, she was a year and a half. I went to my hairdresser let her put the apron on me, cut my hair first and showed her how fun it is.Then let her sit in my lap, put her apron on and cut her hair. I lept saying wow how nice and all, and my hair dresser helped. She still cried but it was much easier than the time before. I took her the other day, and nothing..
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 1 1/2 years old and i took them to my brother who has three boys of his own.So he was use to the screaming and crying.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 3:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I cut my daughters hair when she was about a year old for the first time. Now she is use to it and she is almost 4. She gets professional hair cuts and she will sit still. Recently I wanted to grow her bangs out, but she wanted her hair cut because she was use to that.
    kellyjean318

Answer by kellyjean318 at 5:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I wanted to wait till my son was a year old but his hair just grew so FAST...so when he was about 6 months I sat him in the high chair and took the buzzers to it..he is now ten months old and I just had to cut it again!! It's really all up to you. I mean if your kids hair is short then fine leave it alone because I know some people don't have much hair but if your son is starting to look like a "DD" or it's in his face and eyes...do worry about what people think...do what you think is best.
    Giannis_Mommy

Answer by Giannis_Mommy at 6:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My DD was 18 months old. I cut her hair to give her bangs right in her high chair.

My DS was just over a year. I took him to the kiddie hair salon. It was tense, but he didn't cry. He's only thrown one fit ever, and it was because she took the clippers to his neck without showing him first. It freaked him out. Even now, at age 6, he asks to be told before the hair dresser uses the "buzzies" on his neck.

If your boy is looking like a girl, it's probably time to cut his hair.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Most people I know buzz their own toddler's head. It gets so expensive to go to the barbers constantly! The bathtub is the greatest place to do that as it prevents a mess. Make it afun experience (my DD always thinks its fun to do something in the bath she can't normally do, like bring her sippy cup).

The only haircut my DD has had was when she was 9 mos. I had a sticky fly strip hanging from my ceiling. Papi put DD on his shoulders and was zooming her around the house--next thing we knew she had sticky gunk in her hair! He tried to wash it with a washcloth nd it smeared down her cheek. I cut the chunk of hair, smeared peanut butter on her face, washed it, and she was good as new (miinus one beautiful lock of hair lol). We won't be doing anymore until she decides she wants it cut. I'm not attempting to cut her mess of curls lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• They all had their first haircut before a year.

We took them into the hair salon, made sure they weren't tired, weren't hungry, etc....they sat in either my lap or my husband's lap and had their hair cut. The only problem we had was with my oldest when they tried to use the clippers. But now we know that was due to his SPD.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2009