I'm thinking to get a female husky puppy. Any advice?

Hi, I live in Colorado.
So it would be a perfect place for huskies to live, right?
We don't have a baby yet, but it would be good for a baby to develop well around a big dog, I think.

I'm very aware of the cons of having a big dog as pet in the house, but I'm willing to take the doggy walk and brush at least two times a day. I'm super excited to have my dream dog ever!

But on the other hand, I also really like to know any other cautions with the husky. Like traits and small and big things to know about before getting the husky.

I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Pets

• i had a husky and they are the best...u should get one... and they r really good around kids and other animals. mine would not touch my cat even though my cat would test him. but i would get one
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I had a huskey. She was good with my son-he was six months old.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Huskies are amazing dogs, I had one growing up, and we plan to get one when we move into our house in a few years for our daughter to grow up with. I will cation you though that they take a ton of work to train as a puppy and have alot of energy, they need to go for a long walk or run every day and if they dont get that energy out they can get very destructive.
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• oooo u r getting my dream doggie too, i envy u lmao i have been trying to find one that is not outrageously priced of course as a puppy so i can raise and train it Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 3:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• huskys are good dogs! they are very playful and a good family dog from what ive learned...but they need alot of excersize cause of how energetic they are....also are you sure about female? my mother always refused to get a female animal of ANY kind, we always had male dogs or cat...she said she didnt wanna deal with the monthly problem...dont know if they ACTUALLY make a mess (ew) but might wanna look into that if you dont wanna deal with it IF they DO make messes during the time of the month.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I see no cons to having a big dog in the house. Huskys are Great dogs however they do have a prey drive or can have it not all do. They are escape artists. If you have never owned a dog before a husky should not be your first dog. They are intellagent, sweet dogs but they can also be very stubborn. They also need plenty of excersise
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Huskies are very diffucult to train as they are stubborn if you are not used to having or training dogs I would get another breed German Shepherds are very smart quick to train and love kids. I would get a female dog as males tend to hump if not trained properly . I have had Huskies Shepherds both were great dogs but I have been round Dogs all my life. I now have a bernese Mt Dog sweetest most gentle loving dog in the world
    movingon888

Answer by movingon888 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i grew up with huskies- they are my favorite breed! my mom is actually getting an all white one in the next couple weeks :) they are a great breed- funny, very active, very talkative, and yes, they are escape artists! they dig (it's in their nature- think making a hole in snow to stay warm) and they can jump a fence if it's not over 4 feet high. they have a pack mentality, so if you have just one, make sure to make her an inside dog where she can be happiest.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2009