TEETHING RASH OR SOMETHING ELSE WORSE?

This past week my sons cheeks have become really red, sometimes his nose gets rosy as well. The last two days all around his mouth has been rashy too, its super dry and kind of bumpy in some places. If he goes to sleep it fades until he is active again. He cut 2 teeth a couple weeks ago n they are prolly 2/3's of the way up. I was thinking the redness was from teething but now I am unsure if I need to take him in. Also,on his stomache there are a couple patches that are circular, they feel like goosebumps when I run my hand over them, but are mostly colorless. I did not noice them at the same time as the face problem but maybe it could be a helpful clue.
He has been on solids for about a month n this was the same time he started teething. When he got the dry red rash on his face I stopped giving him veggies/fruits, but that day he was still red and then today I didn't give him any rice in case that is it...but it was worse.

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he does drool like any baby and his face gets dry and he also rubs his face into the ground when on his stomache to try to move, so do you think this could be why? I just have never seen something so irritating looking on him before. If it was on my face I would not be very happy,it looks like it might hurt but he doesnt seem to be affected.

Thanks to anyone who can play dermotologist for me! lol My son does have a checkup scheduled next week but I dont think I can get in before then.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• maybe he has a little case of exzema. try some petrolium jelly on the bumps and see if they try to clear up. dont use baby oil because it can be bad if it is ingested.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I've had 5 kids & nobody every got a rash from teething. However two of them have psoriasis. That might be the problem. I'd look in to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My nephew had the red, irritated-looking cheeks as well - it was eczema caused by a few different things (teething, winter in MN, and drool sticking behind his pacifier on top of super-sensitive skin). Try Calendula cream - it's a natural plant-based cream that won't irritate his skin more than it already is (like a lot of lotions would), but it works great!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2009