Why does my daughter act this way?

I have asked a question about my daughter just recently about her being so clingy but I think I need to explain more. She is so clingy its almost like she is selfish. I have a bad medical condition and when i"m sick she can only think of herself she will say "Mommy I want to play on your computer" I will then have a spell and come to and before I can get my breath she is saying "Mommy I want to play on computer now!" She only thinks of herself, I know she is only 3 but are 3 year old suppose to be this selfish? I want her to be kind and think of others but how do I do that and can I change her selfish ways or is it to late?

mommytobewith1

Asked by mommytobewith1 at 2:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is age it should pass. I really don't a problem with her behaviour I think you just need help. It's irratating and feels like she is being selfish because you are ill. Unfortunately sometimes we as moms have to suck it up and wear our selfs out for our kids. The only solution is to get a mommies helper or sitter so you can rest . I feel for I've been there. I hope you can find some because it will get worse before it gets better if you don't I was done sick for 6mnths dealing with two kids doing similar things and couldn't get some one to give me a hand until I finally callapsed plus I was pregnant on top of it. So I know how you feel. GOOD LUCK I HOPE IT GET"S BETTER.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It is her age...she is supposed to be egocentric at 3. She doesn't understand your troubles. She will get over it, but things only change, they never go away. Some new behavior will crop up. My 4 year old is very demanding...and I have taken to saying, "In a minute." Well, now when I ask her to pick up her toys, she days, "In a minute".
    char944

Answer by char944 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• my daughter just turned 4 and is the same way. it isnt like she is rude or selfish, but at the same time she just doesnt process the things that i am saying. i work from home and will be in the middle of a call or an e-mail and she is bouncing around, "mommy! i am thirsty! i need water now!" it never ceases to fail. it drives me crazy. i can spend every second on her all day, but as soon as i get on the phone for work she wont leave me alone. it has gotten to the point that i have to warn people the moment i get on the phone with them that we will be interrupted at least 6 times by my daughter. but if she gets in trouble for it, she cries and looks at me like she seriously doesnt understand what she did wrong. its frustrating.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 10:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Your daughter is acting as she should. Keep explaining to her, and eventually she will get it. For now, though, see if you can distract her with something else. There may be activities you haven't tried that will not be too taxing on you, but that she will enjoy. I used to play "war" with my son. It had the added benefit that he learned his numbers. Just remember, she does NOT understand why things have changed. I know it is hard to be patient when you don't feel well, but you are the adult in this situation. Take charge.
    MommaP72

Answer by MommaP72 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Give her a break, she is 3 years old and doesn't understand that there is something wrong with you. Her behavior is normal for her age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2009