HELP! woke up suddenly with extreme swelling in right hand/arm, 36 weeks!!

I woke up to go potty and realized I have like sudden intense swelling in my right hand and arm and I haven't had any noticeable swelling before! it was completely out of the blue and wasnt there like 5 hours ago. i just went to the ER for something else like 2 days ago and dont want to go back so soon so i wanna know first if i should. im almost 37 weeks pregnant. i used some hydrocortisone ointment on my face for an itchy patch earlier tonight, thats teh only thing different. my doc had said it was ok. could the cortisone be doing this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Where you laying with it up or on it? Most likely it is just night-swelling. I had to take my wedding ring off every night or I would be so swollen by morning that my finger looked funky.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I had carpol tunnel in the end of my pregnancy. I had similiar symptoms. It may just be that. Just call the dr in the morning and see what he suggests. If it was the cortizone then your face would be swollen too. Thats if it was an allergy anyway
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You can always call an advice nurse to see if you should go in.

I would if it were me because unusual swelling (especially near the end of pregnancy) is a symptom of preeclampsia http://www.preeclampsia.org/about.Asp

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i think you probably slept on it. I do it all the time and im 30 weeks along. I sleep on my arms and hands and when i wake up that arm or hand is usually swollen. Its normal. However, since your so close to the end i would just call and talk to your nurse and let her know because it could be signs of preeclampsia. Better to be safe than sorry. Gl hun
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Pre-eclampsia has many more signs than just one swollen arm. And the medical response to it fails. Follow the Brewer's Diets and increase your protein intake.
    Above all, you are in charge of your health and need to take control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Call the Labor & Delivery desk at your hospital and just ask them what you should do.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2009