What is a good yam recipe?

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 7:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For sweet potatoes I peel them and slice them in about 1/2 inch slices, put in casserole dish. Microwave about 10 minutes or just until getting fork tender. Then mix in about one peeled, cored, thickly sliced apple per sweet potato (4 sweet potatoes, about 4 apples.) Mix in a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, shake some cinnamon over- maybe a half teaspoon to a teaspoon, mix in. Dot with butter. Microwave until apples and sweet potatoes are tender- about another 5 minutes. Can be baked, too if you want to bake it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I bake them in the skins and put a bit of salt, butter, brown sugar and cinnimon on them. mmm Kids love them!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 4-6 large sweet poatatoes, boil in water add some salt to boiling water, when fork tender remove add 2-sticks of butter, 1-cup of white sugar, half cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/4 tablespoon of cinnamon. mix well add to non stick pan. pre-heat oven 325 degree oven and bake i hour or until done, allow to cool and add whip cream you can also put in a pie crust.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 12:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I peel and chunk my yams/sweet potatoes then add about 1 cube of real butter into a covered cast iron skillet & fry them til tender then add 3/4 to 1 cup of brown sugar mixing into the yams til all is covered then I add marshmellows til they are melted & then serve.

Note: You may need to add more than 1 cube of butter.. This is pretty fattening however it's so good once in a while.Great for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinners

~OR~ Use canned yams by draining the juice off of them , mash them with a bit of butter & add your brown sugar & microwave til heated. Blend again ensuring all ingredients are mixed throughly. If needed, pop back into microwave with added marshmellows or without marshmellows

~OR~Use canned yams by draining the juice off of them, add 1/2 can of crushed pineapple(drained), mixing together & microwave til heated.

Herbalife

Answer by Herbalife at 12:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I like to bake yams or sweet potatoes in their skin, then when they get done I mash them with a little bit of brown sugar or maple syrup. For a "healthier" version of sweet potato casserole, I mash 4-6 sweet potatoes or yams, mix with a little cinnamon and allspice and brown sugar (about 2 tsp), put it in a 9x9 casserole dish, and top with 9 large marshmallows, then broil til the marshmallows are melted and toasted. No butter or heavy cream needed, only unhealthy thing is the sugars.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/sweet-potato-polenta-cakes/

Sweet potato polenta cakes! Something totally different and yummy. Very nice with oven fried chicken.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Sweet Potato Burritos
    3 teaspoons olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (I use home cooked black beans; you can use any bean)
    2 cups water
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    4 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
    4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
    12 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
    shredded cheese (whatever you have)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic in until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat,
    and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Sweet Potato Pudding
    6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2/3 cup dark brown sugar
    2/3 cup white sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup orange juice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash.
    In a large bowl, combine 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared dish.
    Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes.

Notes: instead of the sugar and orange juice, I use ½ can of sweetened condensed milk; instead of the vanilla I use a really good dark rum. If you use rum be sure to taste it frequently to make sure that it has not spoiled

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Sweet potato fries

Preheat oven to 350 F. Wash sweet potatoes well. With skin on, cut in half and then cut half into fries. Using waxed bag, I add some olive oil, then one tsp smoked paprika and one tsp cumin. Add cut fries. Shake well distributing spices evenly over all. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes each side. Serve with bar-b-que sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009