How do I transition to REAL solids and actually get him to eat?

Has anyone had trouble transitioning to real solids (adult food not the jar baby food)?

My son turned 1 on the 7th, has most of his teeth, and we've been trying to get him to eat solids for a few weeks now. He eats the stage 3 solids (usually) and loves his milk, but when I try to give him food that we eat, he generally turns his head and clamps his mouth shut tight. I've tried a variety of foods, but it seems he just won't eat any of it and I'm not sure what to do at this point. He can't stay on jarred mush and milk forever.

So far the only thing I can get him to eat consistently are those fish crackers which I'll put on the coffee table so he can eat at his pace.

Any suggestions?

LeilaG

Asked by LeilaG at 8:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when you put him in his highchair give him a bit of the stage 3, but also put some of the real food on his tray...that way he can pick at it at the same t ime hes eating his jar food....this might help some.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I think you should read an article in Parent magazine. It is in the November issue, entitled "Make your baby a Veggie Lover." This may not solve your issue, however, you can see how important introduction of foods early is very important. I hope this helps, everything I feel about food is expressed in the article, I could have written it myself...lol.
    Seriously, I had written quite a lot but my computer has a mind of its own and erased it. of course there are many of "picky eater" articles you will most definitely find something that may work.
    amber42274

Answer by amber42274 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Keep offering table foods, and eventually he'll eat them. My son wouldn't eat "real" food until past 14 months. I asked the doctor about him still eating baby foods when he had his 1 year appointment, and the doctor said it was fine and normal because that's the texture they're used to. I think with my son it also had a bit to do with not wanting to take the time to chew, lol; he'd rather swallow and get it over with so he could get down and play.

Eventually, though, if you keep offering the "real" food, he will eat it. It might not be as soon as you'd think or like it to be, but it will happen, I promise. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Thank you dragonrider - I think my son might be along the same lines. I've been wondering if maybe he's just not ready. I have noticed that he eats slowly and seems to monitor his intake on his own. I'm mostly worried that he's not eating enough since he doesn't seem to want regular food and lately he's been turning his head and not eating his jarred food. Thankfully his checkup is tomorrow so I can ask about that and bring up concerns.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will keep trying to offer him some finger foods to munch on with his jar foods and leave the meal type foods for when he's a little more ready.

I will also see if I can find that article in Parent magazine...
    LeilaG

Answer by LeilaG at 10:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2009