How can I transition from our room to his own room?

My son is one and currently he sleeps in his own bed right next to our bed. I've tried putting him in his crib in his own room but he flips out and will scream his head off for a good 30 min, sometimes longer. Once he's quieted down and I check on him, if he sees me, it starts all over. I've let him cry it out a few times but I really don't like this method, just seems so traumatizing. I also want him to know that I am here for him when he needs me and I'm not sure ignoring him when he cries is the best method.

So how can I convince him to sleep in his room when his crying starts as soon as he's near his crib and realizes he's about to go in there...? What are some non-crying options or methods? What has worked for you?

LeilaG

Asked by LeilaG at 8:39 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is there any way you could lay in ther with him for a while,...put hm in his room for naps.i herd that when u want to move the child to his own room to move them further and further from ur room.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i let my toddler cry. it was about 1 to 2 weeks of him crying straight through the night but after that it was fine. he sleeps in a toddler bed and would come in my room and i would walk him straight back to his bed. no matter how much i may want him in bed with me now i dont do it unless its during day for nap cause i remember how hard it was to train him!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 11:45 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I went through the same thing with my son. If you have a pack-n-play set it up in your room. If you can afford a video monitor with sound (about $70) buy one. Put something familiar that makes noise on his bed, and show him on the monitor that you can still see and hear him from your room. After a few nights, he will start to adjust. My son now waves at the camera in the morning and yells "mama". But it will also give you a little peace of mind during the night to be able to look at the monitor and see and hear that he is ok, without getting out of bed yourself. Good luck.
    shanrcra

Answer by shanrcra at 4:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Currently he sleeps in a pak n play next to our bed...and he's tall enough to climb out. Watched him do it again today. For a one year old, he's tall.

I'll see if I can lay him in the crib and lay down on the floor in the room with him. Hopefully it will work.
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
    LeilaG

Answer by LeilaG at 10:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009