Diaper Rash?

I switched my 3wk old sons formula from milk to soy and now he's got a terrible diaper rash and is straining really hard to go #2 also he's gassy and it hurts him he turns bright red and crys and fusses when he's passing gas or pooing..my question is do you think it's being cause by the change in formula? I change his diaper as soon as he goes to the bathroom so I know it's not caused by not changing him..any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Mamas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like it might be caused by the change. I had to switch my DD from milk based to Nutramigen because she is allergic to milk based formula.

May I ask why you switched him to soy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• yes it does sound like the formula...how long has he been on the new formula? sometimes it can be the BRAND a child is having an issue with...my daughter was like that...talk to your doc!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i switched to soy because he was getting really congested and spitting up and vomitted a few times i figured it was from the milk based formula because I was allergic to milk but now that i switched he hasnt done any of that and it's been about 4 days but im ready to go back because it just seems the soy formula is worse then the milk he didnt seem to be in pain before hand i hate seeing him in pain and crying just to go to the bathroom..im starting to think it may be the brand im using simalac
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• o and his doctor is the one who told me to just switch it and it would be fine i planned on calling again tomorrow
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I have heard a lot of people who had probs with similac and switched to Goodstart, which did much better for their baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I would put him on a hydrosolate formula like Nutramigen. DD was allergic to both milk and soy. Not even Nutramigen was good enough for her. She would have needed Neocate but I just BF her and eliminated soy and milk from my diet.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If your baby is only 3 weeks old I suggest you try and put him to breast.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It sounds like a soy allergy on top of a milk allergy - - there are other brands of formula you can try, but I would also give MoonLover's suggestion a shot if it's possible - breastmilk is going to be easier on his tummy and you can control goes into it by what you eat. . . . . . . .
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I do breastfeed him too but ATM i am having a problem producing enough for him and im having sever pains while doing it so i feed him as much as i can off my breast till i can get the pain worked out with a doctor and also feeding him formula...I was allergic to milk,soy and breastmilk as a child so it is very possible for him to be..im going to work out maybe buying a hypoalergenic formula untill i can get my medical problem with my breast fixed thanks for the advise
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you're doing everything right! Keep working with your doctor to figure out what baby is so sensitive to, and I would also recommend talking to a lactation consultant about the breastfeeding problems - they are very knowledgeable about ways to increase milk production, helping with latching and let-down problems, and a host of other problems that come with nursing - Talk to one about the pain you are experiencing with nursing and also maybe about your diet - cutting things out of your diet that baby is sensitive to might go a long way in helping his tummy trouble. Good luck!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2009