Question for those who have had or believe they have had Swine Flu.

Did your doctor test you? I am almost certain my daughter has Swine Flu. She definitely has the flu and a boy she plays with in preschool was recently diagnosed with it. Yesterday we took her to an Urgent Care clinic and the doctor felt sure she had it and gave us the medicine used for treating it. However, he never tested for H1N1 so we will never know for sure if that's what it was. His reason for not testing is that there's no point. Results don't come in for a week whereas treatment would need to be started well before that. I see his point, but it makes me question the accuracy of the statististics regarding H1N1. I've heard of many other people who have been treated for H1N1, but never tested. If most doctors aren't testing how are we to know how widespread this disease is? Those of you who were tested, did your doctor tell you why he chose to test?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 9:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Health

• My son had the swine flu and yes he was tested for it... it didn't take a week to come back it came back within a matter of minutes just like the regular flu swab. But I feel the same way, my doctor told me if people are presenting the flu symptoms w/ vomiting and diarrhea but their flu swab comes back negative then they treat them for swine flu because the test for swine flu is only used on those who are deathly sick from it... So it makes me wonder if these high number of cases are really swine flu or are just being misdiagnosed as swine flu without actual testing and throwing everyone into a frenzy.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Around here, they are only testing hospitalized people and health care workers who present with flu symptoms. They are finding that 99% of flu patients right now have the H1N1 virus. That is one reason they are not testing everyone, they are presuming they have the H1N1 because of how widespread it is.
    This would not be the time of year to expect any other type of widespread flu. They aren't testing everyone because it is a waste of time and money to do it to find that the person has it, when just about every other tested person has it too. Even if this was seasonal flu season, the treatment is EXACTLY the same.
    And those rapid tests are not accurate for H1N1, supposedly....I don't know the "why" of that.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My daughter had (probable) H1N1 in May. I saw no reason to take a sick child to a germy doctor’s office where she was likely to pick up a secondary infection. According to our family doctor, at the time that she was sick, H1N1 was the only virus in our area; the potential side effects of the antivirals for someone with a normal, healthy immune system are much worse than the virus; the virus is so widespread there is no reason to test for it.
    She had 3 days of fever, the highest was 102.4; the cough and congestion lasted a few more days. She had one really gross bloody nose.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I heard that they are also not testing because they are getting alot of false negatives as well.
    scarlett0720

Answer by scarlett0720 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009