Should we change the 14th amendment?

Should children of illegal immigrants be illegal too? If one parent is a legal United States citizen, the child should be a citizen, also. If both parents are illegal, deport them AND their baby. This "Anchor Baby" nonsense has gotten out of hand.
As it stands now, once a woman manages to have a baby born in the US, that baby is entitled to all the rights of citizenship, including the right to have his parents, illegal though they are, to raise him. Then the US has to feed, clothe, house and support the whole family on the taxpayer's money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we need a revision...But we also need to make it EASIER and LESS expensive to get citizenship.

I do not think Anchor babies should be allowed. My grandmothers didn't come here and squat out a kid to stay. They had their paper work completed and being processed before they ever got on the boat.
    I worked with illegals, in several places.
    In a pizza place during college there were 4 one was the top cook who got paid 12 dollars an hour to make pizza! Then there was the prep guy (the one who makes all sauces and stuff) He made 9 dollars an hour. Then there was a bus boy, spoke no English he made about 5.50 an hour. Then there was this old guy. He was also a pizza cook. got paid 10 dollars an hour. They were all issued paychecks One of them I know even PAID taxes---so he could get college assistance.

There were 2 others I worked with in the oilfield. Spoke not one drop of English and weren't treated very well.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• not all immigrants go on govt. funded programs. A lot do the jobs that no one else seems to wanna do.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• and alot of them do those jobs because they aren't made to learn English..instead Americans are forced to learn it or lose ther job...thanks liberals of today

not only is it damaging to this country but to the immigrants as well
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If there were no illegal aliens to DO this work, eg hotel housekeepers, nannies, gardeners, meat packers, construction workers, etc. Americans WOULD do them, for instance high school and college kids on summer breaks and after-school jobs, part-time working mothers and others. American unemployment would go down, and so would the cost of social programs. No illegals + more working Americans= lower social costs all around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Immigration laws were quite different in 1868, the year the 14th was ratified. I don't think the legislators of the day would have worded it this way if they had known what would happen. I think it would be easier to address this issue by using current immigration law. We must be VERY careful with amendments to the constitution.

IMO, children born to illegals should also be illegal. Barring this, we could greatly discourage the practice by permanently removing these children from their parents at birth. We already do that with other criminals. I realize this sounds harsh and some of you will probably bash it. Fine. Someone always has to be willing to make the tough decisions. Besides, these people are ILLEGAL and that means criminal. I think the rate of anchor births would drop dramatically very quickly.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Ummmm, thanks to all the illegals that are taking over all the jobs, my SO cant get steady work as a bricklayer, and since he doesnt speak another language its impossible! Im all for sending them back to their own country and maybe our unemployment rate wouldnt be so high. (never mind it would be easier to pay our bills!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Where would we find enough foster homes for all of them? I think the best idea is to send them back. No benefits, just a one-way ticket home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Immigration laws were quite different in 1868, the year the 14th was ratified. I don't think the legislators of the day would have worded it this way if they had known what would happen.

The 14th amendment was created to give former slaves and their children the full rights and responsibilities of citizens without any restrictions, since until emancipation slaves weren't considered citizens and couldn't pass it on to their children. It was a good idea then, but now with modern air travel bringing people in from all corners of the globe, and all of Latin America beating feet across the southwest desert, and people having no regard for the fact that America is supposed to be a sovereign nation, overstaying visitor and student visas at will, it's time to put a halt to this concept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• tnmomofive, Thanks to the liberals today, you cannot get fired for not knowing a second language, they just won't give you the job, because major accounts belong to spanish speaking people, and business is business. Smart Americans learn the second language because it is to their benefit, and think an extra advantage is knowing more than one language. Nobody is forcing anyone but when you live in a melting pot of ethnic backgrounds the dominant background will prevail and that is the spanish language.

Answer by older at 11:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Squat and drop is NOT immigration!!! It SHOULD be changed!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2009