What are some chores for a 5 yr old...

I am trying to get my 5 yr old boy started in some daily chores, please let me know if yall have an suggestions.:)

AmeliaR

Asked by AmeliaR at 11:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Clean his room and pick up all his things around the house, and maybe gather up all the bathroom trash and bring it to you. Thats what my 4 year girl does around here and also pick up her toys outside so daddy can cut grass.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Have your child do normal chores that you do..they may not do them as good as you would but they are chores that your child sees daily and would probably enjoy doing. Maybe ask your kid what he wants to do to help around the house, or give him a list of things and let him pick, or change it everyday make it a new task daily. Cleaning his room is a good start.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 11:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Picking up toys for one. Dry dusting just to get the idea. When I was 5 I stood on a chair and had to wash dishes. Kids today have it allot easier than in my old days. LOL You can get a play vacuum cleaner and let them learn that as well.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My dd cleans her room, the playroom, helps in the bathroom and kitchen. She also vaccums and helps mop. She helps dust, fold clothes and put them away. Most of these are not everyday some are once a week(my work schedule). Her daily chores are to make her bed, brush her teeth, put dirty clothes in the hamper, feed and water her dogs and feed her fish. We have a chore chart.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 11:44 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Mine, at 5, loved to vacuum and mop the floor. If it is safe, you might consider taking out the trash, drying dishes, making his own bed and picking up after himself. If you have your own yard, consider an child size rake and let him rake up leaves or sweep the porch, pick up after your animal. My brother and I were doing all those things at that age.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My 4 year old empties the dishwasher, sweeps, vacuums, picks up her toys, wipes down the table, helps clean the bathroom, picks up dirty laundry, puts her own laundry away, grabs plates and silverware, and uses a towel to clean up her messes. Obviously she doesn't do everything in one day, and sometimes not even every week, but these are just some things that she is capable of doing. I also have a 7 year old and 10 year old to help (dishwasher and bathroom mostly). Oh, and wiping down walls and taking the recycling out. Whenever I am cleaning, I find something for them to do.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2009