is this normal?

My son is a week old and i am breastfeeding him.. It seems like he only eats about 10 min a feeding. He poops right after most of the time and he burps everytime. I try to get him to get more but he falls asleep. Is this normal?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he is eating, pooping and peeing .... and gaining weight, then 10 minutes may be all he needs....
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• As long as he's gaining weight properly and having adequate wet & dirty diapers, it just may be enough. But also, when they're that tiny, their tummies are smaller, which is why they also eat more often, especially booby babies. I wouldn't worry unless he's not gaining, stops gaining, or doesn't have enough wet diapers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My daughter would nurse for at LEAST 30-45 mins each feeding. Then when my son was born he only nursed about 10 mins a feeding if that. I was worried but the lactation nurses said he was just more efficient at what he was doing. As long as there are enough wet and poop diapers you are fine.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My dd is 4 months old and she has only ever nursed for abut 5-10 mins per feeding... I guess some babies are snackers!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It's probably fine. Diaper count is really the only way you can tell at home whether baby is getting enough while breastfeeding. As long as he has 6-8 wet/poopy diapers, he's getting what he needs and there's no need to worry. :)

And just to ease your mind, my daughter, when she was just a couple of weeks old, slept for 8 hours one night out of the blue, and then only ate for 7 minutes on one side. I went and pumped because I was uncomfortable (I was used to nursing on both sides every 3 hours or so), and I got 6 ounces from 15 minutes of pumping (total, both sides, not 15 minutes on each side), and nursing is much more efficient than pumping. That put an end to any worries I may possibly have had about supply issues, lol.

Just let him eat when he's hungry, and he'll stop when he's full. The only number you need to worry about is the diaper count; ignore the clocks. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009