Whats a good idea for a "homemade" Halloween Costume??

Hi. I am a mother of 4 children. Times are hard right now and I just think that paying $10-20 for a costume just so that the child can wear it for a few hours is ridiculous. For me that would add up to be $40-80 for just costumes. I was wondering if anyone is making their childs costume this year?? I have 3 girls and 1 boy. Please give me some ideas of what I could use for them that I would have laying around the house. Thank you so much. And HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!

My4Angels2009

Asked by My4Angels2009 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I got a free costume for my daughter off of my local freecycle. My boys are going to be Superman and Batman and all I did to make those costumes was get a blue shirt and a gray shirt. I found logos online and put a piece of paper up to the screen and traced them, no wasted ink, then I made stencils from those with freezer paper (I can get you the link for that if you're interested in trying it) and used acrylic paint to put them on there. Then I used spare red and black cloth (you can use old t-shirts for that) and loosely hand sewed it to the backs for capes. This way I can take it off easily after Halloween and they each have a superhero shirt to wear. You can use the same ideas for just about anything and I really don't have to do anything else but put those on them, although I think I'm going to try to make a mask for batman. I have one pic up: http://www.cafemom.com/photos/view.php?photo_id=13245299&ct=mine
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Ask friends or family members if they have their kids' costumes from last year and see if you can borrow them. If that doesn't work out here's a link I found and made my both of my sons' costumes last year. I made Thomas the train with a cardboard box and paint and it turned out better than I could ever imagine.

http://www.parents.com/holiday/halloween/costumes/halloween-costumes-made-by-moms/?page=1

http://www.parents.com/holiday/halloween/costumes/diy-costume-ideas/
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I hear Ya!!! I also think it is a waste of money even if I had it!!!
    So for a boy, one year, I got ski-type mask at goodwill, dressed him in all dark, had him carry a bag with some fake money poking out, he was a bank robber. There's always a baby, or a doll for a girl. For the doll, just put her in a kind of old fashioned dress, put a ton of blush on her, cirlcles on her cheeks, and red lipstick, hair in high piggy tails (u get the point)
    One year I got a cape at a garage sale, and it can be used for many things. Goodwill has lots of stuff, but also check out About.com, they have a huge section of articles on costumes you can make yourself.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I am making my LO a fisherman because we already have a fishing pole and boots and vest. I bought him a oversized hat at the Dollar Store and I am going to glue some fake lures and worms onto his shirt and hat. Might cost me $3. I want to put some painted dirt on his face too....cute! My other 2 kids costumes were given to us....yay!

Flower Pot - Glue silk flowers (from dollar store, no stems) onto a girls hat that you should already have. Paint a terra cotta flower pot onto a shirt with vines and leaves. You could even do this for ALL your girls with each girl having diff colored flowers....A BOQUET! The paint is so cheap. I did this and it is super cute on a 2 yr old.

Glue "smarties" onto a pair of jeans....."Smarty Pants!"

Get one of dads old button up shirts and cut sleeves for an "Artist". Put paint on face and have paint brushes.

A chef - An apron and oven mitts. Hat - out of plasic WalMart bag
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2009