what council put together the bible

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure I understand your question. My personal belief is that God wrote the Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I am sorry, at some point a group of peole sat down and put together what books should be in the Bible. This completed the cannon.
    Anonymous

• IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• This is a very good question. I'd like to know myself which individuals were responsible for putting together the bible. I've watched the discovery channel and they've had many shows on "Scholars" who put it together and have omitted some events or people(Lillith for example) for various reasons. But who were these "scholars" they speak of and why did they decide to put these stories together? Very good question indeed!

I'm looking forward to seeing where this question leads to as far as answers are concerned.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 1. The Council of Laodicea (A.D. 363) - this particular council accepted all of the books of the New Testament except the Book of Revelation.

2. The Council of Carthage (A.D. 397) - this council of chaired by the preeminent early church father and theologian, Augustine. The Council of Carthage accepted all 27 New Testament books.

3. The Council of Hippo (419 A.D.) - this council reaffirmed the Council of Carthage..
    Anonymous

• I do know the scholars were the bishops, at the time there was a universal church. I just can't remember the council (FYI, I don't click on random links for two reasons. One my computer is slow two I don't know where the link is sending me)

As for why stories were not put in there are various reasons.

the story of Lilith WAS NOT left out by this council if I am reading correctly on cafemom. It seems Lilith is a branch or an addition to the story of Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve is in the book of Genesis which is an Old Testament story. The council that put the cannon together decided on which books would make up the New Testament. Books were not "left out" books were decided on and used to put together the NT.

If one talks about the books left out they would be including every writing that was done before the council so theoretically you could say the OT was left out of the Cannon.
    Anonymous

• thanks anon 11:11 you were postiing as I was typinig. The Hippo one LOL I alwasy laugh at that name :) how could I forget
    Anonymous

• Before that the Council of Nicea established much of the doctrine that would be accepted by the church. I am pretty sure that they did not discuss putting together the Bible, but much of what they decided at that time influenced what would later be accepted.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Nicea
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 51-125 CE - The New Testament books are written.

140 CE - Marcion, a businessman in Rome, taught that there were two Gods: Yahweh, the cruel God of the Old Testament, and Abba, the kind father of the New Testament. Marcion eliminated the Old Testament as scriptures and, since he was anti-Semitic, kept from the New Testament only 10 letters of Paul and 2/3 of Luke's gospel (he deleted references to Jesus's Jewishness). Marcion's "New Testament", the first to be compiled, forced the mainstream Church to decide on a core canon: the four Gospels and Letters of Paul.

200 CE - The periphery of the canon is not yet determined. According to one list, compiled at Rome c. AD 200 (the Muratorian Canon), the NT consists of the 4 gospels; Acts; 13 letters of Paul (Hebrews is not included); 3 of the 7 General Epistles (1-2 John and Jude); and also the Apocalypse of Peter.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009