What kind of formula is the best supplement for my six month old that is still breastfeeding?

I am currently breastfeeding my six month old, but my breasts are not making a lot of milk anymore. I am concerned that he still needs a milk supplement, but am unsure what the best type of formula would be to give.

BabyMama648

Asked by BabyMama648 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started supplementing with Similac Advance early shield and my daughter did fine :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I used Enfamil Prosobee.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I always used enfamil low iron...however they stopped making it. So I suppose you could use the enfamil in the yellow can. I breast fed also. The low iron formulas didn't make my kids constipated like the high iron formulas did. So glad i don't have to worry about that anymore because I don't know what i'd do for formula if i needed to supplement.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• kellymom has all kinds of suggestions and info about how, what, and when to do. Good luck!

Formula, Cow & Other Milks

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i think the doctor would be able to tell you better than anyone. i used enfamil lipil with iron...but i think u should get the doctor's opinion first
    kristina_1988

Answer by kristina_1988 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• may i ask why you think your not producing enough milk? if your baby is ahving 6-8 diapers a dayyour supply is good
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Make sure first that you actually do have a supply issue before you offer formula. Is the diaper count ok? Is baby gaining weight? Have you considered trying things to up your supply instead of supplementing with formula, like nursing more often or taking herbal supplements? Of course this is all moot if you want to supplement, but if you don't there are other options to consider before formula.

If you decide to go that route, though, there isn't really a best across the board. My son could only handle Enfamil and GoodStart, but I know babies who only do well on Similac. The only thing you can do is try one and see how it works. If money's not a problem, I've heard more success stories with GoodStart than any others; but if you'd rather not spend the money, try a store brand first. If the first try doesn't work so well, then try something else until you find what does work.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If you really need formula...and you only really need it if you're not changing enough dipes...the "best" is merely the one your baby will take.

Another thing to think about...if baby is on solids, be sure the solids only FOLLOW nursing. NEVER before. Too many solids will cause a true supply problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You do not need to supplement. Your baby isn't nursing as much by this age so your breasts aren't producing as much and therefore don't feel as full. If your baby seems satisfied, is growing, and producing wet diapers, then you have more than enough supply.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Why do you feel you need to supplement? Supplementing is a very slippery slope. If you wish to continue breastfeeding and giving baby the best try any other avenue besides formula. By giving formula you may very well end up with a very uncomfortable baby that is in pain which is very counterproductive.

Anonymous