do any of you spend halloween in the cemetery?

I don't but I have relatives that do. Anyone know where this idea came from and why it is done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• On Oct. 31st or Nov. 1st we go clean gravesites that are important to us. This year my daughter is interested in having a Dia de los Muertos celebration so we will probably adjust slightly for that. The reason is that the holiday is based on death & those who have passed on from this existence. Many believe that they can communicate with the deceased more easily at this time of year. Others feel that it keeps the spirits of the deceased happy to be remembered & their final resting places or memorial sites tended.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Uhhh, NO! I stay away from cemeteries because they represent death and I am living for today,living for LIFE.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Answered at 12:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 by: Lindalu2
    Uhhh, NO! I stay away from cemeteries because they represent death and I am living for today,living for LIFE.

That is typical of the American attitude towards cemeteries & death. For me cemeteries are about memories & history & life, I spend a fair amount of time in cemeteries all year long.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• What nysa said. I am Hispanic and remembering where we came from is built into our heritage. I don't spend the day in the cemetery but I do have relatives that do.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I never have. But i plan on spending some time in a cemetery this Samhain.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Yes I've spent Halloween in cemeteries. I celebrate Samhain though. The time is about honoring our ancestors. So yes it would only be natural to visit graves this time of year. It is believed that the veil between this world and the spirit world is thin. Therefore we can better communicate with the dead.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i do..always have sense i was little..
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2009