My dd is losing her first tooth & I have a question!

My dd (who is 6) has a really loose tooth. We can already see the new tooth coming up behind the baby tooth. Is this something to be concerned over? I always thought the new tooth would come up under the baby tooth, not behind it.

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 12:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It happens all the time. Just try and get her to wiggle the baby tooth more so it falls out faster. The adult tooth should move back into place if the baby tooth comes out soon enough.

My son had the same thing happen except his baby teeth weren't even that loose so I told him to keep wiggling them. He spent all day at it and then pulled the dang thing out. It sure wasn't ready and he was bleeding all over (he's a boy so...). His adult teeth came in normal after that.

My brother had the same thing happen but refused to try and loosen up the baby teeth. He ended up with really crooked teeth because he had too many in his mouth at once (I think he even had to have some of the baby teeth pulled to make room for the adult teeth that were already all the way through, fighting for space).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Amy, Lian has lost a few teeth, so I am an "expert" now! LOLOLOL!

Seriously though, I have seen it both ways with him. The first tooth he lost the new tooth didn't show up for a while, then his next tooth was pushed out by the new tooth (this one freaked me out because I could see it move up his gum and it poked in behind the old tooth but it moved right into place when the other tooth fell out) and right now he has one on top loose no tooth behind it and on the bottom one loose and we can see the new one already. I am just grateful we don't have to go through teething again, of course you still have that to look for with your LOs. =D
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Thanks for the answers!
    That's what I'm nervous about - if I should call the dentist or not! I'll just call and ask them tomorrow to be safe.

And Shell - yep, got the teething (& biting my boobie) thing going on with Aidan. They just can't take turns - they all have to do everything at once! LOL
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Amy what did the dentist say?
    allorganic

Answer by allorganic at 10:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2009