Has anyone been through marriage counseling?

My husband and I have been married 3 years and have a 9 month old. We fight all the time and emotionally I have just checked out of our marriage. Would counseling help?
Thx

chelseaapm

Asked by chelseaapm at 12:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• it can't hurt to try.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It normally doesn't hurt to get an objective opinion and guidance. Meanwhile you can work on it yourself by picking your battles. Sometimes it's more important to be happy than it is to be right. Remember that it takes two to keep a fight going and if you stop then he's got no one to fight with so it stops. All that fighting creates negative energy that upsets the baby too so maybe that will help you decide not to jump into the ring to fight.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• laughingp.s. if you really want to get his goat just agree with everything he says. He can't argue with his own words and if you agree with him then there is no fight. I do that for fun sometimes just to see SO's head spin in confusion!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I went to a marriage counsellor a few times with my dh of 7 years, when ds was 17months old. I know that I said more hurtful things there in front of the counsellor than I had the courage to say when we were alone. He left and never came back. It was probably for the best. I do not believe that the counselling hurt us, it only made the inevitable happen sooner.
    Anonymous

• I tried marriage counseling with my first husband. Awful! I had done individual therapy before and grew up in a family that valued talking things out. My family believed in counseling and we all used it. He was raised to hide everything from everyone. His experience with counseling was social service workers taking him from his mother. He was NOT equipped to handle it. Some people really benefit, others can't do it. Remember, there are MANY professionals out there and you can shop around for a good one!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2009