why do you spend so much time proving another religion wrong?

I see it more on cafemom, but I have seen it in other places. It seems there are so many people infatuated with the idea of proving the bible to be false or God not real. If you are so secure why do care?

*as I type I can hear all the Christian bashing. I know there will be a response talking how Christians bash. I guess a lot of people hold true to that two wrongs make a right theory. It just seems pointless to me to try to prove someone wrong if you are as tolerant as you claim or secure in you own beliefs or lack of beliefs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because deep down, everyone wants to be RIGHT.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• They are ALL wrong. LOL. It is just a matter of what appeals to each individual and what their family history is, I think. I really resent people who say their church is the only true church . Mainly, it is because they have lots of competition from all the other chuches, religions, cults, etc. that say the same thing. I see a group of people who get a sense of security to be a member of a group that feels they are right. I don't know if any are right. But their "group membership" strengthens their confidence and makes them feel so much better "knowing" that they are better than other groups/churches.
    Anonymous

• Some people in America feel oppressed by Christianity, perhaps because of their upbringing or because of the attitude of their community. It causes some to become emotionally involved in proving to as many people as possible that the religion is incorrect. It is actually the same problem as the Christians who expend a lot of energy trying to convince strangers or friends of other religions that they are right.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I do agree with you ihartu, deep down there is a need to prove they are right and there is no God. It seems to be the way I was thinking.

A long time ago I gave up caring what others think. My heart is with Jesus and I can't think of the last time I tried to convert or witness to someone.

In fact, when I was asked about my religion I gave offered the resources to get the information and the name of a person to talk to.

Anonymous

• Oh & some people just really like to upset others & religion is an easy way to do it.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• For starters, I don't really know why anybody would go to a Church that they didn't feel like had it "right". Regardless, if you truly are secure in your Faith and/or beliefs I feel like you might want to share that with others but spending so much time actively trying to prove them wrong gives the appearance of insecurity in your own convictions. So I agree with you OP.
    Anonymous

• I am Atheist and don't try to prove God or religions wrong, but when I come across good information it's good information. And some of the questions we non-christians ask you guys take as we are trying to disprove everything but the reality is sometimes we are really just honestly curious about something. What's funny about your question is that you address it as if only Atheist or non -Christians try to prove other religions wrong. Alot of the times here on CM it's Christians trying to prove other Christians wrong too...
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 12:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• AshleyLynnW, the questions stems from somehting I have been reading on cafemom the last few days and it was from non-Christians. I can't do anything about you finding it "funny" but that is where and why the question came into play.
    Anonymous

• For starters, I don't really know why anybody would go to a Church that they didn't feel like had it "right".
    __

I agree with you on this. I wouldn't go to church if I thought it was half way there. I also understand if I am talking to another person who is LDS(I am not) why would I even try to convert this perosn? He/She is secure in her faith or it would not be the faith they claim. How would I feel if they started telling me my faith was wrong? In a sitution where a person wants to talk about their religion I do a lot of listening and not too much talking. The information can be iteresting. Now when it turns to conversion talk, I get a little hoppy.
    Anonymous

• There is a difference in trying to prove something wrong, and asking questions with a sincere desire to learn and understand.
    I think a lot of times, Christians get their back up whenever anyone asks ANY kind of question about their beliefs.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009