How do you wean a baby from breastfeeding when that's the only way to get him asleep (peacefully)?

kristina_1988

Asked by kristina_1988 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter is tired she really likes to nurse, even when she isn't hungry. Sometimes I can't do it because I am giving other kids a bath or something. She seems fine when DH takes her and gives her the pacifier and rocks her to sleep. Now, if I tried to give her the pacifier and rock her to sleep it would never happen. I don't feel bad letting him do this since 1. I know she isn't hungry, just tired and 2. it gives them some time together since he can't feed her
    Anonymous

• It sounds like your child is still needing to breastfeed. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. It's hard for me to understand the desire to wean if that's what the child needs to fall asleep and the child is still an age that they should be breastfed. If for no other reason, it's easier for everyone.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009