Seriously, What are we as Moms doing to have our sons grow up as the Male adult who is, in my opinion, is a NON-functioning member of a household?? (all these men who don't help around the house)

I'm not talking about those few rare men who DO help out around the house. Even those men don't do "enough" and yet we, as women, allow the husbands and the boy children to act similarly as an adult! How many men really help out around the house isn't the question, it is What Are We Doing To Our Sons??

ironkitten

Asked by ironkitten at 12:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• If my boys are lazy around the house as adults, that will be their own doing. I'm raising them to help me - I'm not a maid or a short order cook. They won't grow up not knowing how to perform simple household chores.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It's not what we are doing as much as what dads, movies, society, etc are doing to convey to them that housework is women's work.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Ours do dishes, clean their rooms, help cook, clean the bathroom, help with laundry. They will learn to take care of themselves so they don't have to rely on anyone else to do it for them! My Hubby cleans up after himself and insists that our boys help out. We aren't drill Sergent's, we are a family unit and in order for them to learn and be a part of the unit we all have to help out equally... That's just how we do it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Let's hear from those women in really bad relationships or those women who complain about how they do all the work or that they get up and then journal their day from 5 a.m. until 10 a.m. while they have a long list of accomplishments while their hubby is still in bed...

I applaud all of the moms who are teaching their sons how to be a true partner to another.  Will ANY mom step up?  I hate to blame this on society......

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I'm making sure my son knows how to do everything for himself. He's only 4 right now, but he can do a lot already. My husband helps out though, so our son has a good role model.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• This made me LOL because I had a conversation about this recently with my mom. This was after I taught my 14 year old brother how to wash a load of laundry.... The kid can run almost any kind of farm equiptment you let him on but he cant wash his football uniform without a hand from mom??? ooookaaaay then
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• sk_tennyson, you made me laugh!!!!!

When my son was about 3, I asked him to put his clothes in the laundry room and he acually asked me, "Momma, why do you want me to do your job?" We had a nice conversation about who does what around the house and that if he wore clothing, he should begin to learn to be responsible for them, if he dirties up things, he better know how to make them clean again, and if he ate food, he will learn to cook, etc.... I never unerstood where that came from!!
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I still don't understand how men and teenagers can shoot a basketball into a net or hit a golf ball down a long fairway, but when they are sitting next to a trash can, the trash never makes it inside!
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Too many mothers don't make their kids learn to take care of themselves. We're not really supposed to be raising kids, we're supposed to be raising competent adults. Competent adults can take care of basic household needs, like cooking, cleaning, laundry, bill-paying, food shopping, minor home repairs...
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• my dh helps with the kids a little as for the hopuse yeah rght he wont even pick up a plate. he want raised like that. at his house he had chores and everything but he doesnt help me at all with household chores unless am like sick in bed
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009