Breastfeeding mom divorcing

Hello,

I am a breastfeeding mom going through a nasty divorce. My daughter just turned 2, and yes, I am still breastfeeding her:) I nursed my first child until 2 1/2.
My husband(an attorney) and his attorney are trying to make it out to be a bad thing that I am still nursing. I do not want to wean right now because I don't want to take even more security from her.
Any advice on how to defend myself against this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Don't worry about it, they are just blowing smoke out of their asses trying to scare you. There is absolutely nothing against a mom breastfeeding past a certain age.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I dont know how to fight against it but as a mom who breastfed two babies till they were almost 3 y/o, I hope that it works out for you. I truly can not stand when people try to make it a bad thing.

Does your lawyer have any advice on what you can do? maybe they could find someone from the local la leche league who could come in and give a statement on your behalf? Also maybe your pediatrician would be willing to give a statement that it is not harmful.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I also just thought about this, obviously your soon to be ex was around when you fed your last child past this age so if it wasnt a problem then it shouldnt be now, and that would be something he couldnt fight against. It would show he was using this to upset you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Call a LLL Leader. Leaders are trained to help mothers with legal issues.

I don't see how you would need to defend yourself. Breastfeeding becomes a custody and visitation issue. Since you breastfed your other child your attourney should be able to use that to make sure visitation doesn't interfer with breastfeeding, at least until the age the other child weaned.

I'm so sorry. I went through two divorces while breastfeeding. You can email me if you would like.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• He doesn't know what he's talking about. It works on your behalf not his.
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree, call LLL (LeLeche League). It should be in the book. If not, look online.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree call LLL! Also you could maybe have your doctor write a letter stating its healthy and recommended for babies to nurse for 2+ years.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It does look bad in court. It could very well look like you're trying to keep the kid nursing so the dad can't get over nights. You know that nursing moms in most states don't have to give the child over for over night visits until they are done nursing.
    Going through a nasty divorce and custody with a lawyer as your ex is going to be impossible. You should really consider trying to make things work.
    Anonymous

• Blowing smoke. No worries. Contact LLL like the PPs said if you need help.

People say nasty things in divorces. He is trying to frighten you. You know you are right. Don't be afraid.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree with the others- find a good lawyer and contact LLL and see what they advise. Personally I think it is very crappy of your husband to try to use extended breastfeeding against you! Especially when he knows you breastfed the oldest till age 2 1/2.
    I hope all goes well for you and good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2009