Catholic God parent question (for those Christians who have God parents in their religious practice

*I have enough respect to stay out of question directed towards one group please show my the same amount of respect*

Words, gender and the such may be changed to protect my privacy.

Situation: A person is asked to be the God parents of their (and the families) first born niece. The first of the next generation. While this might be a tremendous honor, I take it as a responsibility. My niece(mother of the great niece) has not been in a church in a long time. IMO, the purpose of the God parent is to spiritually teach the child about the Catholic religion. When my children were baptised I told my parents if I don't get my butt in gear it is your job to kick it to make sure your God children are taught the Catholic religion. (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is absolutely ok for you to share your concerns with them and make sure they know that you plan on taking things seriously and actually doing your "job" as Godmother. Just explain it to them, but make sure you let them know that you need their support, so if you don't have it to the extent that you feel it's needed then they should choose somebody else or as you mentioned you will just be the Honorary Godparent. (I would personally really respect that and appreciate the person I chose being so straight forward with me about it no matter what my feelings were on it either way.)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• (cont) If I were to accept the offer I would take the responsibility seriously. My niece and her boyfriend have already said they won't be going to church on a regular basis. BTW the father is not Catholic i am not sure what religion he is. If I were to accept this great honor I would expect to be allowed to take the child to church with me every Saturday/Sunday and enroll her in CCD with the responsibility of getting her to classes falling on me, BUT the parents are to support me if she wants to hang with the girls instead of going to classes.

Here is my question: I feel bad about placing restrictions or rules on my acceptance. Should I mention the above thoughts or simply say no thank you? If I do say yes, but I will take my responsibilites seriously and she will not agree to the classes and Mass should I just say thanks but I will be an honorary God parent?

Anonymous

• I think it's great that you take the role of godparent so seriously, because it is more than just an honorary title. It is a responsiblility. And it's important to talk this over with the parents before you accept to make sure everyone is on the same page and OK with it. Let them know you're willing to take her to Mass and CCD - but if they say 'no' that's something you have to consider and do what you think is best. Personally, I would still agree because I might still be able to help her understand the Catholic faith and by keeping a relationship going through her life and praying for her, maybe as an adult the neice can turn to you for additional guidence about the Catholic faith. And if they take back their offer, you can still be there as an example and pray for her. Offering to help is great, being too pushy may push her and the parents away. Good luck!
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I thank you for your answers, i think I have to refuse. I can still pray and help her grow as a Catholic without being on the certificate. I think I would be better help by not being a God parent because I won't feel obligated to make her go to church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2009