Is the lack of childcare services preventing you from going back to school?

I am doing a research paper for my college writing class and am proposing the addition of a child care center to our campus in Bend, Or.

Happimommy3

Asked by Happimommy3 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in

• well, my community college that i go to has a daycare center that i could use if i wanted to, but i dont want my son going to daycare because i dont want him getting sick, so i go to school in the evenings and my mom watches him, or one of my aunts, or my SO's mom. but my friend whos also a student there, works at the daycare center and theres kids there, she said its nice so..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• But the parent would still have to pay for child care, that they can not afford? Or would it be free?

Answer by louise2 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Well, for me, what prevents me from going back to school is the funds. That, and having to help my kids with their homework, as a single parent, I don't have anyone else who can do that, and I put their education before mine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• The community college I go to has a child care center. But that is not an issue. I make school work for me because that is what is going to get me off of PA and supporting myself and my son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i cant go to school because i have noone 2 watch my 1year old daughter...its sad
    im working in a minimum wage job,and i would love to go to school to have a better life
    tigernina

Answer by tigernina at 10:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• my college has a daycare center on campus...but it's a joke. they charge almost 1$ more than most daycares around here...and they don't even feed your child(ren) for you.....so needless to say, I don't take my son there.

I'm taking 13 cr/hrs this semester...but in reality I'm really not on campus ALL that much. And my Husbands grandmother is retired (but still able of course) and we take our son there everyday...but he still does go to a daycare twice a week for a few hours (Hubby's Gma does work at her church a few mornings a week.) but she's GREAT with him! he loves her!

and it REALLY saves us on daycare costs....I'm DREADING going back to work and putting him most likely in full-time daycare....daycare costs are just OUTRAGEOUS!...insane actually.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2009