What does this mean to you?

"Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free"

Does it sound familiar?

This country was founded for and built buy those tired, poor huddled masses... And today they are forced to sneek in under the radar because we have made it so hard to come in legally... Are you kidding? Since when do we only accept the happy and rich? This country is supposed to be the "melting pot," when did this idea get lost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought we accepted them so the rich could get richer?
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with those who want to immigrate here LEGALLY, learn to speak English, work hard, establish a business, and/or earn a degree or two or three, and NOT end up on the government subsidy list!

Just like my great grandparents and relatives before them immigrated--they followed protocol then, and it should be followed now!

Why is this concept so hard for people to understand?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Have you ever thought that when those words were penned there were nearly unlimited resources, and that we are no longer in that position?

Thatw we are out of money, put of jobs, and the laws are what they are for a reason?

My bff married and imported a hubby with not a single darn issue. Legally.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Times are different, the laws are there for a reason, do you expect us to welcome everyone into our country with open arms when we can't even take care of our own? Would you prefer that everyone end up being poor and weak because we have burnt through our resources, jobs, land etc because we are so over populated that we cannot support our way of living anymore? If so then why don't you just go to a country that is already in that position.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 4:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• ANSWER--911/ and I agree,can't afford any more melting pots,if this is what they do
    Anonymous

• Btw, as inspiring as those words are, they are just a poem, carved in a statue given to us by the french. They are not the law of the land.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• All are welcome as long as they follow protocol. I call B.S. on not being able to afford it. There are many programs to help them. They just want to take the easy route, and let the rest of the country pay for it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Agree amy lets just say the hell with it let bleeding hearts rule the day and allow ourselves to become a thrid world country

I mean that makes sense right wed all be better off right
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My BIL came here legally, and brought other family members over legally, and they brought other family members over legally. They are now all productive members of society, their children were born here and have gone to college.

If they can do it, so can others. And they can do it legally.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I said the same thing a couple weeks ago--we didn't ask for your rich, prosperous and yearning to oppress. Unfortunately, there is such blatant racism that anyone with any trace of an accent is assumed to be illegal. Regardless of what policy changes we see, attitude changes won't be soon to follow.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 6:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009