Where did your family immigrate from?

And would they have been able to do so under todays strict immigration policies?

Would YOU be here if we inforced stict immigration laws 50, 100 or 200 years ago the way the government would like to today?

And do you consider that when you are bashing illegals?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When the country was young we had a lot of room. Now the country is about to bust, there are so many people here. We came from Europe. Germany ,Ireland.  No, we would probably still be in Europe if we tried to come to the USA today.

Answer by louise2 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• For me, I'm Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, Italian and Polish - All of my ancestors were poor - very poor - and in some cases even criminals. But they came to America, huddled in the bottom floor room of a boat with 13 other families who simply wanted better. They came here with no plan, no job and no money... And they were welcomed! Sure there were hard times, and life wasn't easy. But they were Americans now, and that made life better. I am here, a strong and proud American woman, because they came here.

How many millions of people would never have been born if we were so picky about who we accepted in the past - I know I wouldn't be here. So, I say, let them in. Make them legal. Show them the same courtesy as you did my ancestors. These people are in need of a better life - That's what America used to be about... How easily we forget!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• my parents and their parents were from england and ireland.
    georgia362

Answer by georgia362 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My Grandfathers and Grandmothers all all came from Ireland. They spent every last cent they had to become legal. They had all their papers filed before they ever got here. I am sure in this day and age they would not have left Ireland. Not because they couldn't become legal but because Ireland isn't in the same situation it was back then. But lets pretend Ireland is exactly as it was in the 20's they went broke getting here and doing it legally in the 20's, I am positive The history would be the same.

I have never bashed legal immigrants. I can bash criminals till the sun don't shine! I do think we need strict laws on immigration. But we should reform it to have it more accessible and less expensive for them to have a better chance of becoming legal.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My ancestry comes from English, Irish, Scottish, Native American. The earliest American Ancestor is Puritan roots in Salem Mass. (Hung for witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials). I do not mind people legally coming to America. I do mind people coming in illegally, not paying taxes, getting all sorts of benefits and living as thriftily as possible, and then going back to Mexico or whereever they came from with enough money in their pocket to sit around for a year or two. The cycle continues. That I cannot abide by. If you want to be an American, by all means come here legally, learn English, fit into society and I'll welcome you like any other American. The problem is when illegal immigrants abuse the system.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• this is why we have to limit our numbers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgz6ZCqhtg 5 min version

full video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqIHeteagpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmus_OQzz2I
    Anonymous

• Ireland and Germany--first wave just prior to the Revolutionary War, next wave, just before the Civil War and the final wave at the turn of the century (1895ish). I have had the discussion with students many times that I fully understand my status as a fourth generation citizen. I have no idea what my ancestors went through to become naturalized--but they all did. I do know the Irish were treated like garbage (pretty much the way many consider Hispanics). My great-grandfather died in a horrible accident while working in the shipping yards of Boston Harbor (early 1900's) and no one thought to inform my great-grandmother. She was told that since they were Irish and bred like rabbits, her sons could keep supporting the family. One less Mick was no great concern. Unfortunately, this type of attitude exists to this day in regard to many ethnic groups. It is shameful.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• well im half black half white
    as far as my black/african-american side I have no idea where my ancestors were brought here from, well I know the continent of Africa but I dont know where...

my mom is half German and part scottish and irish
    she is the second generation born in america on the german side.

I dont bash any immigrants who come here legally...I just dont agree with being here illegally
    and TBH 200 years ago the country wasnt even extended passed the eastern coast so to say who the immigrants actually are can be left up for you to decide.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• And do you consider that when you are bashing illegals?

Key word there is illegal. Meaning criminal. And most of my family has not been here so long that they got a free pass to walk on in. They had to meet rules and regulations, especially because they were Catholic and not Protestant - back of the bus, in other words. People who act like it used to be a cakewalk to get here have no grasp of history and what MOST immigrants went through even 150 years ago. What is expected of immigrants today is nothing compared to what they had to live through before it was regulated.

There is a reason we have limitations on the number of people who can come here. We have limited resources. We do not have the means to support the tired and poor huddled masses of every nation on earth, and even if we tried, they create more tired and huddled masses exponentially every year. WE are not the answer, and they need to find their own.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My Mom's Mother's family came over on the Mayflower from England,then her Dad's family came from Wales and worked in the Ohio coal mines. My Dad's family came from Norway and Sweden in the early 19th century,settled in Wisconsin and Minnesota. They all had skills and jobs and built their own homes, became farmers and lumbermen or went to college and had careers such as Law, Teaching. I have no idea how today's immigration laws would affect them but I'm sure glad all my ancestors came here. ;-) then I was lucky enough to be born in America. I would hope we would be generous enough to wish for today's immigrants to have a chance. My relatives were given a chance.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009