If you had your gall bladder taken out, are you supposed to follow a certain diet?

I was told not to eat any dairy foods or anything with animal fat? Is this true?

beadahlia

Asked by beadahlia at 3:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I wasn't told this exact thing, but after I had mine taken out I developed severe IBS and was then told that it was because of my diet following surgery. I had to cut out junk food, heavy dairy, cut back on meat a lot, and introduce a lot more fiber into my diet. I also can't have too much salt, etc. I wouldn't say cut them out completely unless told so by a doctor, but yes, you really should watch your diet after surgery.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I have never been told any of that. The only thing I really watch is spicy food and that is because I have acid reflux. I take a prespcription for that so it's not really because of my gallbladder. I woulds say it's more of a personal thing, not everyone is the same.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I wanted to post this same question; mine is going to be taken out and I wanted to know how it affected my diet, as well.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• They told me to watch the fat intake. But I eat anything I want including dairy, and have never had a single issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• the gallbladder deals with the digestion of fat so i can see why you might want to watch fat intake, but dairy idk
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• A lot of times it depends on the person, in general you need to avoid fatty things, but one person might also have problems with roughage while another can eat all the cheese they want and want to die if they have guacamole.

Your best bet is to start out bland - clear soups, jello, oatmeal, etc. Gradually add in new things one at a time so if something does make you sick you can tell what it is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i had mine taken out 11 years ago and there are no dietary restrictions after. the no fat thing is only BEFORE they take it out, because fat makes you have an attack .
    jenn95

Answer by jenn95 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I was told that I could eat whatever I want, however, beef would make me really sick.. I had mine out in June and I'm just now getting to where I can eat things without having to run to the bathroom.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I had my gallbladder removed 18 years ago and I eat whatever I want. I have never had any problems with what I have eaten.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 2:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2009