My cat is very vocal and needy, yet scared of everything!

My daughter and I adopted a male cat when he was about 4 and had apparently been wild/feral before that. We have had him for about 6 years and have not changed our routine or family structure at all but he is still extremely skittish with people and won't be around anybody but me. We did have 2 other cats that passed away (old age) at separate times. He had always been very domineering with both of them even though they were the first ones here (one female, one male). He is domineering with me too as he will walk RIGHT in front of me down the hallway, etc. He is welcome to go in and out as he pleases but will only spend 2 minutes outside before he's begging to come back in. Then he'll want to go right back out again and start the cycle over! He must sleep while I'm at work because he only sleeps for a few hours at night and is constantly in my face. His "affection" is very annoying because he nips at my nose and fingers!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Pets

• You just described my baby boy Tommy. We found him when he was about 2 months old(now almost 3) and he doesn't go outside because there are a lot of dogs that kill cats and we don't have a fence. He is VERY skittish as well. If he hears someone knocking at the door he runs and hides in our closet and when people come over and he can't get in the closet, he hides underneath a blanket and shakes. I feel so bad because he doesn't get along with our almost 5 year old female...still! He is the biggest baby and when we take him outside to eat some grass and get some exercise, we have to put a harness and lesh on him because he'll take off and he is declawed.--Long story short, he destroyed EVERYTHING in my MIL's house and we were moving into a fully furnished apt so we had to get his claws out. And he screams constantly-he doesn't shut up! Unfortunately, I don't know what to say on how to deal, but when you find out let me know!
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009