One year old very constipated

My son just turned one and we switched him over to whole milk. He keeps getting very constipated. Prunes (gerber 1) and prune juice mixed with water seem to make him explode. My doctor said since it works keep doing it everyday. Are too much prunes and prune juice bad? When we cut back he gets hard stool again. Thanks for the help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Because you are giving him to much prune juice. Cut back. You do not need to give hime both. Just some prune juice. Like a inch of it in a glass. Wait half a day. Then if that didn't work give him a little more.

Answer by louise2 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• will he eat veggies? I wouldn't give him tons of prune juice, prunes are better, he needs fiber, and try whole wheat pasta, and veggies, and fruits, apples with the peel have fiber in them, use whole grain bread instead of white, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• All we have been giving him the past week are veggies, pears, peaches, whole wheat everything. Anything with fiber. The prunes, prune juice combo seems to be the only thing that is working. I stopped the prunes and just gave hime watered down prune juice and he got constipated again. I called my doctor again and he said do both.
    Anonymous

• I might get some flak for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. If milk makes him constipated, why give it to him? It's obviously BAD for his bowels. I know, the doctors tell us they "need" a certain amount of dairy products in their diet, but my son is extremely allergic to all dairy, NEVER has dairy (nor gluten, eggs, and nuts), and is growing and developing perfectly (now almost 2). My son had some bad constipation when he was younger, and I did the prune juice thing, also resulting in explosion, then found out he has celiac disease and the constipation was due to the fact he was eating wheat and other gluten and causing damage to his small intestine. Constipation is a sign that your body can't handle something. There are alternatives to dairy milk: almond milk (if no nut allergy), rice milk (a bit watery), soy milk (though soy can also cause problems for some), oat milk, hemp milk (hard to find but very, very healthy).
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 3:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Dilute the prune juice. My kid LOVED it and it worked like a charm. Good luck.
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 5:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Just do it every other day. My twins are 22 months and I still give them prunes twice a week :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 6:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If the milk is making him constipated. Switch him to soy milk.

Answer by louise2 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• ratviolin, I agree with you. I get diarreah when I have dairy products. My body doesn't want them, nor does it need them! I refuse to have diarreah 2-3 times a day because a stupid food pyramid claims I need them. I eat a varied diet, and make up calcium in other areas. If your body can't handle it, don't put it in!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2009