I need some advice from a sylist! Root regrowth and changing colors?

Naturally I'm blond. REALLY blond. However, all the women in my family (even when we were babies, fresh from the womb, I swear!), despite hair color, have really dark roots naturally. Mine are dark brown. Anyway, I usually keep my hair red. This time around, I hit a rough patch financially around the time for me to touch my roots up and I couldn't afford it. Now, most of my hair is this really pretty dark reddish blonde (almost light auburn), but my roots are dark brown and then brassy blonde-red from my attempt to touch them up, just a little too late. Now I want to go a little darker with the red (like medium auburn or something), but I'm not sure how to do it! I can't go to a stylist because I can't afford it (cheapest around here is $45+ for color). So, what would you suggest for getting my hair all one color again (possibly with highlights, I'm not sure yet) without going to a stylist? Thank you so much!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• PS--store brand hair color has a much stonger ammonia level, that is much harsher on your hair, so I would say highlights are not a good idea, that would make 4 processes to your hair, too much for hair to handle! Use a good deep conditioner with protein and moisture!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Hi, I have been a hairstylist for 20 years and also sell professional products. I am afraid if you try to do any more retouch, you are going to have a mess on your hands, because you have 3 seperate situations, natural color, fresh new color, and the older color at the bottom. Unless you want to go dark, with a SEMI permanent color, please call a cosmetology school and book an appointment. You need a filler and then they can proceed from there, I know you wanted to be able to do this yourself, but the more you continue, the worse it is going to be price wise to fix it. That being said, once you get it fixed don't let your roots get out of control again, the reason why you got the band is because your scalp is warm (makes the color lighten faster) and the rest of your regrowth had no heat to help it process. When you do your own retouch be very careful not to overlap the color! Message me if you want more info!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009