What should I be feeding my 8 month old son?

My son is 8 months old and he really isn't on a feeding schedule and i'm trying to get him on one to make us both happier! At the moment when we get up he might have an ounce or 2 of formula and then infant cereal and a 4 oz jar of baby food (fruit or vegetable). Then an hour later he has around 4 or 5 oz of farmula and then nap. When he gets up he has a 4 oz jar of baby food (fruit or vegetable whichever he didn't have earlier) and a 2.5 oz jar of meat. Later another bottle maybe 8 oz this time (just depends) and thats as far as the schedule goes. I usually try to feed him when we are eating dinner but that doesn't slways happen. And he always has a bottle right before bedtime (usually 8 oz.) I'm not sure if this is adequate enough but he seems to be gaining weight. But I know it has slowed down alot. But any help would be appreciated!

DavidsMom0218

Asked by DavidsMom0218 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds perfect, actually! Gain is supposed to slow in the second six months of life.

Nothing broken here!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Sounds like a schedule to me mom!! Your doing fine, he might need a little more protein, but I wouldn't stress, in a few months he will be eating what you eat! MY DS was Crazy for the turkey and gravy gerber, it made me sick to smell it, but was about the only meat I could get him to eat, don't stress your doing great!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• At 8 months we started feeding my son table food - what we were eating and then bfeeding after meals and for snacks. He ate food for breakfast, lunch, and supper; what we ate, when we were eating or right before and then bfeeding or bottle and then he got a snack of bfeeding at 3 o clock and right before bed. I mean, we were working towards a "normal" schedule by the time he's a toddler anyway so why not go ahead and institute that.

Answer by missanc at 4:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Sounds like you're doing great! If you're concerned about weight gain, try adding a few fatty foods (good fats) to his diet with things like avocado and whole-milk yogurt (if he's on a milk-based formula, otherwise, I might wait another month or 2). The yogurt is also a source of protein, so you'd be hitting 2 birds with 1 stone :) Another great source for calories is coconut milk - a couple tablespoons in with the formula is a LOT of extra good-calories for babies who need something extra (my son has been slipping down the charts for the last few months and these are tips from his doctor).
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You don't need to feed your baby any commercial baby food. He could be eating regular food.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• DD is starting table food. shes 8 months also. if im eating soft foods like mashed potatos or noodles, shes eating it too. but your schedule sounds fine to me. sounds like just about the same as my DD.
    Anonymous