considering getting my tubes tied...

I'm 24 expecting my second baby my oldest is almost 5.(Single mom) I have already signed the papers for a tubal at the time of my c-section. I'm really not as sure as I thought I was. My mom thinks I'm too young to know whether or not I will want another child in the future ( you know after I find prince charming and get married.) I'm starting to get nervous and running out of time to make a decision. I don't want my negativity towards men right now and being left to parent my children alone affect my decision and possibly end up regretting it later on. I'm just confused and in need of advice what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, I agree with your mom...and the fact that you are having doubts leads me to believe that having it done now would be a bad idea. There are plenty of ways you can avoid becoming pregnant again before you are ready, but I can't imagine having that done so early in life. In ten years you will only be 34, and who knows where you will be, who you'll be with, and what you will want at that time. As long as you have ANY doubts...I'd hold off on the sugery since it is a permanent thing. Even if you try having it reversed, there are no guarantees it will work....and it would be a shame to meet a man you want to have children with knowing you can't. An IUD may be an option. They stay in for years, and some of them claim to make a woman pretty much infertile until its taken out. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You are too young. You can get an IUD and use condoms and you would have almost no chance of getting pregnant. You add foam and you would be really safe.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I would get a birth control that is not daily, and take that. If you are having dought i wouldn't. i would rather take some form of birth control for another 10 years and then have a hystorectomy. Also your mom has a point, prince charming changes everything. No regrets, wait.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree that you are too young to get your tubes tied. I am 39 yrs. old and pregnant with baby #4. I AM going to get my tubed tied after this one. I am older and my husband and i agree that we only want the 4 children. Like i said...i am wayyyyyyy older than you are and i will have my family complete and feel confident that we are done having children. An IUD is pretty effective and Paraguard will last 10yrs. Try that first for a birth control. In the end it is totally up to you. We are just giving our thoughta on it.
    Anonymous

• I agree your young for such a decision. I'm a bit older with 2x as many children and can't make up my mind. I only have 3.5 months before it's go time, and me and dh keep going back and forth about it.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 6:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My husband says I should get my tubes tied this time, but I am not ready to make that choice yet. It took us 3 years to get pg with #2 so maybe thats why I don't want to get it done.. We are both only 30 and so we still have a couple more years to make up our mind on weather or not we are 100% done...
    Baileysmom22304

Answer by Baileysmom22304 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2009