OLD FASHION GRANDMA'S COLD/FLU HOME REMEDIES

SCHOOL & COLD SEASONS HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON. TOP IT WITH THE H1N1 that even adds more to the germ pot.
HOWEVER, IN MY GRANDMA AND MOM'S TIME THE MEDICINE AND MEDICAL CARE WASN'T AS SHARP AS IT IS TODAY, AND DOCTOR'S MADE HOUSECALLS TO BOOT!

I AM STILL A BELIEVER IN GRANDMA'S AND MOM'S HOME REMEDIES, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY TO PASS ON PLEASE DO...CAUSE US CAFE MOMS & KIDS CAN USE ALL THE HELP WE CAN. SO PLEASE WRITE THEM DOWN?

MY MAMA WOULD STRING GARLIC CLOVES AND PLACE IT ON MY WRIST FOR ME TO INHALE THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT SO MY STUFFY NOSE WOULD CLEAR UP TO HELP ME BREATH. SHE ALSO RUBBED VICKS RUB ON MY CHEST.
COULD YOU IMAGINE HOW I SMELLED IN THE MORNING? I MUST ADMIT IT WORKED.

csjoy1

Asked by csjoy1 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• How about this--use a handerchief when sneezing and COVER your whole mouth and nostrils Especially when you get on a bus and sit behind me AND wash your hands thoroughly and don't touch your nose after you wash your hands! I'm a germaphobe!  Take ALL of your antibiotics so that the germs don't mutate.....

Anonymous

• Don't take anything for fever. Fever is your friend. Germs like to grow at body temp. Your body raises it's temp to slow or stop germ growth.

Don't take anything for cough. You want to cough stuff up out of chest.

Stay home when you are sick.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Rub that Vick's Vap-o-rub on the bottoms of your little ones' feet, too, and put socks on them. As ridiculous as this sounds, it works!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• sickI agree with you mom's, I recall my folks giving me handerchiefs and my dad always had a handerchifs.   Vick's Vap-O-Rub still around today, since my grandmother days. 

Please give me MORE MEMORIES OF WHAT YOUR MOM'S OR GRANDMA'S DID, OR WHAT YOU AS KIDS WENT THROUGH THOSE OLD HOME REMEDIES OF YESTER YEAR TOO????  THANKS FOR THE ABOVE TIPS,.. on vacationYOU CAFE MOMS ROCKS!!!

csjoy1

Answer by csjoy1 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My granmother would make us take a tablespoon of caster oil and take fish oil tablets daily. Naturally, you'd be going the bathroom. I remember not getting sick, as a kid.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• When we were sick and had a cough/ sore throat my dad would always make hot tea with lemon and honey.
    vicks was a staple in our house and used at every cold- only it was rubbed on our chests, throats and back not on the feet.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2009