baby falling asleep during breastfeeding....

My daughter is 2 weeks old. She will eat from one side for about 10 or 15 mins and then fall asleep, so I can't get her to eat from the other side. Usually i just end up letting her sleep and then feed her from the opposite side the next time she eats. I try to keep her awake, but it is impossible. What do you do to keep your baby awake during feeding?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's ok to feed one side a feeding. If she is having wet diapers and stools and doing well, then all is fine. If you think she is not getting enough then you have to try and do some things to keep her awake. Undress her for feedings so she isn't too warm. Move around. Talk to her.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• In order for babies to go longer between breastfeedings and to ensure that both breasts get the stimulation needed to produce milk, it is important for baby to empty both sides at a feeding. For my kids I would change their diaper in between sides to wake them up, take their clothes off, even wiping their face with a wet washcloth.

Answer by missanc at 4:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I did a diaper change in between sides.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I fed both my babies just one side at a time - a lactation consultant recommended it so that I knew they were getting all of the hind milk rather than just fore milk from each side. To keep her awake during a feeding, try nursing skin-to-skin and keep a cold washcloth handy to wipe across her feet and down her back when she starts to drift off. You can also stimulate her sucking by tickling right under her ear - even if she doses off she'll still be getting milk.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• In the beginning I only fed from one side because she would fall asleep. She was going 4 hours inbetween feedings and definitely getting enough from one side. I would them pump the other side to freeze. I did this until she decided that she needed both sides. I just alternated what side she ate on each time so that she would be used to the feel of both sides.
    Anonymous

• I thought when babies fell asleep eatting it ment they were full and done i think the baby would stay awake if she was still hungry i really dont see why you should force them awake if they fell asleep i would pump the other side and then start that side the next time you feed there will still be milk especially after a few hrs
    Anonymous

• well i tried feeding my little one on one side then the next one with the next feeding but becam lopsided. so i just switched from breats to breast evry few minutes. it is normal to fall alssep i even fall asleep sometimes myself. i dont even think my baby nursed that long when she was that little
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My son would fall asleep while feeding and after a few tries of tickling under his chin on his neck, if he still didn't wake up I would just let him sleep. However like the others said, you can try changing her diaper in between sides as well. My son is 2 months old now and is in the 90th percentile for weight so I think letting him sleep a few times here and there and not forcing him to eat didn't do too much harm haha.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2009