Has anyone ever had to get their baby's blood tested for failure to gain weight?

My daughter has been struggling to gain weight for about 3 months now. The doctors finally said she has to get tested for hypothyroidism, and celiac disease.
Has anyone else had to do this? If so, what were the results?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 4:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to have my son's blood drawn when he was about 12 months old because of this. He has been under the 5th percentile for his weight for the longest time. His doctor just wanted to be sure it was not a thyroid issue. We took him to get his blood work drawn at a Children's specialist. They collapsed 3 of his veins and ended up calling it quits. The nurses could not do it and gave up. Needless to say we have not had it done. He is growing just fine. He is just small. I know that is not the answer that you want, though.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 5:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You might want to have your child checked for primary immune deficiency diseases. There are 10 warning signs and if your child has 2 they should be tested. My three sons, grandson, & I have the PID called common variable immune deficiency (CVID).

10 Warning Signs

•Eight or more new ear infections within one year
    •Two or more serious sinus infections within one year
    •Two or more months of antibiotics with little effect
    •Two or more pneumonias within one year
    •Failure of an infant to gain weight or grow normally
    •Recurrent, deep skin or organ abscesses
    •Persistent thrush in mouth or elsewhere on skin, after age one
    •Need for intravenous antibiotics to clear infections
    •Two or more deep-seated infections such as meningitis, osteomyelitis, cellulitis or sepsis
    •A family history of primary immunodeficiency
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I have been going though the same thing with my 4 year old son since he was about 1.5 yrs old. He has had biopsys, upper and lower GI's. He goes to and endocranologist and has been tested for celiac disease and cystic fibrosis. The only thing they can tell me is that he was lactose intolherant. He was on lactase and prevasid for almost a yr, on appetite stimulants for a few months until I took him off of them because they made him very angry. I am happy to say that he has been off the meds for about 6 mos now and on regular milk too. They couldn;t seem to tell me what was causing all of his belly aches and diarhea, nor tell me why he just wasnt gaining weight or growing taller. It was a very frustrating time for us and Im sure him toobeing so little and not understanding. I was very dilligent and persistant with testing and searching to make sure that every stone was unturned. The docs were just happy with him
    jaidan45

Answer by jaidan45 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• (finishing from above) maintaining his weight and not losing. He is now 4 yrs old and only 32 pounds in 6 mos has only gained 12 oz..I have to add that this boy eats non-stop,he is very unpicky eats fruits veggies meat fish everything..thats why this was so hard to take in because he eats so well. He is always running around very active and the only answer I have is that his metabolism is on overdrive. H e is very athletic and shows no others signs of problems. So now this week coming up he has a weight and height check and the doc may send him to an endocranologist to see if ithas to do with his grwth hormone. I am axious to see what they say, but also dont want to put him through anymore. Its hard to see your child go through so much and not have any answers. Hopefully we will have good news..I just want to believe that my son is just small like I am. Hopefully you will have luck in your quest as well.
    jaidan45

Answer by jaidan45 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2009