Disprutive in Class, Doesn't Listen. Effective Punishment?

My smart, overly energetic, disrespectful 7 year old Son will listen to nobody. I am tired of having the same conversations with Teachers. He has been punished in the following ways:

- Laptop/Nintendo taken away
- Time Outs
- Sent to room
- no pocket money
- extra curricular activities taken away

He is at a great school and I am afraid he will be asked not to come back if he cannot conform to their very reasonable rules. ie" do not talk over the Teacher. How do I make him have bettter self control and self discipline, he just doesn't get it!

sd.mummy

Asked by sd.mummy at 5:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Home school him?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• MAYBE A DOCTOR'S HELP-MEDS
    Anonymous

• Punishment does not teach good behavior, as you have found out. Authoritarian parenting isn't effective. You need to learn more about parenting. Go to google and type in authoritative parenting.

You might try the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen. There are discussion boards on www.mothering.com that might be helpful. At the top of the discussion there is a list of suggested reading.

If it is a good school shouldn't his teacher be able to handle a 7 year old? It should be between the child and the teacher.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Have you had an evaluation done for him, he may be ADHD-a term a hate, or he could have concentration issues, is he younger than most of his class? I would take him to a therapist for an evaluation. Just so you know, I talked over the teache ALL of the time, not on purpose, but now I am pretty well know for my speeches, and make money giving them LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree. The effective punishment fits "the crime". In this case, the teacher needs the control not you. He needs to behave in the classroom. I would talk more to the teacher or principal to see what can be done in school.
    Also talk to him at home and see what he says about the situation. "what will help you to behave in school". "what is the best part of the day" "what part of the day do you get in trouble more?" Stuff like that. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• H.O.M.E.S.C.H.O.O.L.
    Kelly913

Answer by Kelly913 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• There are some really interesting studies about how kids with ADHD need more physical release of energy and a time out is the WORST thing you can do. I would try running him out before school. Either on a treadmill or make him run 20 laps around the house. Give him an outlet for all that hyperactivity. A swear Ceasar Milan's advice for dealing with misbehaving pets also applies to misbehaving kiddos. =D
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Have him evaluated by a professional.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• The teacher needs to step up a little bit. Keep him for recess when he misbehaves. My little cousin was having this problem and after a few weeks of his teacher not letting him go out for recess he was a changed little boy in the classroom! Just because he acts up in class DOES NOT mean he has ADD or anything. People are too quick to jump this and medicate kids that just need discipline. Talk to other moms in the classroom.. It could be that the teacher just can't control her class.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If he is ADHD, punishments won't work. He simply cannot control himself. My son is that way. He's on Adderall. There are methods of dealing with ADHD that don't involve meds, though we did go the medication route. Have him evaluated. Talk with other parents with kids in the class, PP may be right. Maybe the teacher cannot control her class. Wait, has he been like this? With different teachers? Get him evaluated. There's nothing wrong with kids that actually ARE ADD/ADHD.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2009