Required for testing???

I took my son to the doctor a week or two ago for his well-check. The nurse gave me a paper and said that I was required to take him to get tested for lead. I'm not against it and think it's good to be tested just to make sure... But my question is... What if I don't? What can they do? I just thought it was odd that she said I HAVE to take him to get tested.

Jacki88

Asked by Jacki88 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • Who pays?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• There are certain "requirements" for when doctors check this or that. In my state, a child needs a lead test at age 9 mos-1 year and again at age 2. A doctor could be negligent if the child has lead poisoning and the doctor never checked. So by saying "you have to" it probably is the same as "we need to document this". Will they chase you down and throw you in jail if you don't? No, not unless it is determined later somehow that your child has a high lead and wasn't treated because you "refused" to get the test done.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• There are many ways in our everyday life that can expose kids to lead. It can be deadly and is nothing to mess around with. If you dont get him tested then its 50/50 as to what his blood really tells. They like to make sure that kids are healthy and not effected by this. Many ppl leave in old homes taht contain lead and could effect them. Like paint and such. I watched a segment on the history channel about lead and its crazy how much of our lives contain it. I can understand their concern
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009