How do I bake a chicken?

OK I have a whole chicken in the fridge and I need to cook it somehow

Tips on how to bake a chicken? I'm going off internet "how to's"

Here's what i've learned so far

Wash the chicken with water, if it has goobers in it's cavity they need to be removed

Pat dry with paper towel, baste in olive oil and put random spices under the skin

Please feel free to help me further!!!

I WILL be a good housewife someday, I WILL!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My MIL gave me a roasting pan. So when I cook whole chicken or turkey, I spray the pan with cooking spray, clean and salt the poultry inside and out and set it in the pan, cover with the lid, and cook for as long as is called for, according to weight, and I either use a meat thermometer or a popup thingie to check that it is really done. Of course I don't get a crispy skin doing this, but the meat is moist, I'd take the skin off before eating anyway, and I never have to baste, and the pan is easy to clean. I'd say it is similar to the cooking bag thing, only I'm not throwing out a plastic cooking bag. - not that I have anything against the bags, I've used them for various meats, too.

Answer by Bmat at 7:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You don't have to put oil and spices on. It's optional. Lemon Pepper is pretty safe.

You want to put foil in a pan so it is easy to clean. You need a pan with sides that the chicken fits in like a 9" by 13" pan. Line the thing with foil. Put the chicken on top of the foil. Warm the oven to 350. Look up online how long to cook it. You need to know how much it weighs. That would be on the wrap it came in. Stick it in the oven. Set timer. Also look at clock and estimate when done.

You can put some potatoes and carrots or other veggies in the pan and cook with it. Stove Top is good and easy to make right before you eat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I use the reynolds baking bags. I love them. They make the meat very moist and they are very easy.
    Anonymous

• you can add lemon in the cavity as well as herbs, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper inside the cavity of the chicken, put on 350 for about 45 minutes, then use meat therm, to take the temp in between the leg and where it connects to the dark meat, not the breast, you want the temp to be at least 160, if the top starts to get too brown make a small tent out of tinfoil to put on the top of the breast. It will take an hour up to an hour and a half depending on the size of the chicken, one more question, if the chicken says fryer chicken on it, it would be on the label, it won't be quite a good, and I would fry it instead, you can get directions on how to cut it up on the Food Network website!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• That's one of my long term goal too...to be a good housewife...LOL

Let's see...when I bake chicken, I use salt, lemon pepper (or reg pepper if you don't have any lemon pepper), and paprika and rub that all over the chicken. You can make pockets on the chicken (Idk how to describe it...a small slice between the meat) and put a clove of garlic in it to have some garlic taste if you want to have some garlic taste in it.

Ummmm...you can stuff the chicken with some stuffing like how you would cook a turkey.

Also make sure to check the temperature of the chicken to make sure it's fully cooked.

I'm not that good of a cook but I'm not too bad either....lol...so hopefully this helps some.
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Oh I agree w/ the previous poster about Reynolds bags...they help make the chicken very moist. Good luck on cooking your chicken.
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Thanks guys. I do have garlic- that could be fun!

I'm really trying, my boyfriend is definitely the chef though. I just try not to burn food things.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• cooking bags make for soggy skin-yuck!
    If that is your goal subsribe to magazines like good housekeeping and womans day at least online as well as reading all about things in this website.
    Did YOUR parents not teach you how to cook? I guess that is one of the reasons I really try to make sure my kids will have the skills to live on their own and have a family
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 6:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• no i was never given formal cooking lessons from my parents, who both worked.

i dont need magazines cluttering the house- i can find anything i need online or check something out from the library.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Set your oven to 350 degrees.....yes you wash the chicken then pat dry...I put butter under the skin and smear it all over the chicken then salt and pepper it. Bake it for about 20 mins for each pound the chicken weighs. I use the drippings to make gravy to pour over mashed potatoes....Corn on the cob is good with this meal too! Yum-O! lol

I used to not know how to cook either. I couldn't even make a fried egg! But trial and error plus the Food Network channel helped me..... :)

Good luck!!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 6:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009