Can you use an Ovulation test as a Pregnancy test?

I thought i remembered seeing on here a while back that you can use an ovulation test in a pinch and it would work the same way? Is that true? I jsut have 1 left, and dont want to rush out and get a pregnancy test unless i have to, haha. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• No. They test for different hormones
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No you can't use the ovulation test the same as a pregnancy test because the ovulation test, tells you when your most fertile to be able to conceive a baby, where the pregnancy test tells you yes or No your pregnant, plus the hormones are different also. Hope this helps. :)
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 7:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• According to www.peeonastick.com: LH (ovulation) and hCG (pregnancy) are very similar, almost identical. hCG is basically the exact same thing as LH, but with an extra piece on it. OPKs test for just the LH, which is the part that both hormones have in common; HPTs test for the extra piece that only hCG has. So an OPK will detect LH and hCG, while an HPT will only detect hCG. So an OPK will be positive if you're pregnant, but since it's also positive when you ovulate, you can't know for sure that it means pregnancy unless you know for sure when/that you ovulated (positive OPKs are not a definite; you can get a positive OPK and still not ovulate for several days because your body delayed ovulation for whatever reason; the only way to know for sure that you did ovulate is by charting BBT). So go ahead and use it if you want, but if it's positive you should still confirm with an HPT.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No, you can't use a an ovulation test as a pregnancy test. Ante up the 5 or 6 bucks and get a pregnancy test. Why on earth wouldn't you?
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 8:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Actually I decided to test this theory out and after getting several positive pregnancy test I decided to use a OPK test strip and got a positive so for kicks you could I guess but some women ovulate twice in a cycle so I would not totally rely on them.
    wolffjessica

Answer by wolffjessica at 12:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2010