Can anyone explain this discrepancy, please?

AND BEFORE I'M ACCUSED OF BIBLE BASHING, LET ME SAY THAT IS NOT MY INTENTION. I SEE TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF WHAT GOD IS ALLOWING FOR A LIFE SPAN AND WOULD SIMPLY LIKE CLARIFICATION ABOUT WHY THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN GENESIS ABOUT IT. THANK YOU.

Genesis 6:3 (King James Version)

3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Genesis 11:12-16 (King James Version)

12And Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah:

13And Arphaxad lived after he begat Salah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.

14And Salah lived thirty years, and begat Eber:

15And Salah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.

16And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I looked this one up!!! Okay, basically when it is talking about limiting the days of man to 120 years it isn't talking about limiting our lifespan (from 300-500 years to about 120 years). It is talking about God striving with the rebellion of that generation. He warned them to repent and He gave them 120 years to do so. It took Noah 120 years to build the Ark (it was big). And it was 120 years before the flood came.

I looked it up in the good old Matthew Henry, the James Brown Fausset and the David Guzik. I hope that helps. That is why Noah lived really long after the flood too. I also think their long life spans helped repopulate the earth after everyone had been wiped out.

Quote: "Yet his days will be one hundred and twenty years: This is not the outside life span of man but the time left until the judgment of the flood. The flood happened 120 years after this announcement."
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No, and why do you care? You don't even believe the bible is true and have often said it is full of contradictions so really in your mind it is a contradiction on a book that is false.
    Anonymous

Translation: she doesn't know and is too scared to think about it
    Anonymous

• The bible is full of contradictions and indiscrepancies. If you took everything in that book as literal you'd be insane.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Translation: she doesn't know and is too scared to think about it
    __

REAL TRANSLATION she doesn't care, doesn't know why anyone else cares and doesn't believe the bible is 100% correct and is beyond scared it is not funny.

Translation of the translation Anon: 40 is afraid a person can read the bible take it as a symbol and not get bent out of shape over silly things.
    Anonymous

• she doesn't care

You've posted here an awful lot for someone who doesn't care.
    Anonymous

• I really hate when anon's bash for no other reasonings than to bash.. It's not only impolite, but makes the person hiding behind the anon seem like a small child that didn't get their way.

Ihartu, it's a very good question, and I would also love to hear and INTELLIGENT answer.. I know there are a lot of women that could explain your question without insulting. I hope one of them can answer you, because it's obvious the anon above can't say anything that isn't from the mouth of a troll.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Morgain The bible is full of contradictions and indiscrepancies. If you took everything in that book as literal you'd be insane.
    __

thank you and I am Christian enough to admit it :)
    Anonymous

• There are a couple of standard replies. One is that the 120 year limit in Gen 6:3 refers to the coming great flood not to the number of years humans can live. This makes sense since later in Genesis God tells Noah ""And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth." (Genesis 6:13). So there is no contradiction between Gen. 6:3 and Gen. 11:12-16.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• xxhazeldovexx: I really hate when anon's bash for no other reasonings than to bash.. It's not only impolite, but makes the person hiding behind the anon seem like a small child that didn't get their way.

LOL @ hazeldove for either of you to believe there is an explanation you are going to have to admit you believe the bible is accurate LOL
    Anonymous