What does "Metamucil" do for your body compared to a laxative?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Health

• A laxative gives you bad shits right away, doesn't do anything for the long run.Use it for occasional constipation. Metamucil is something you take every day, a fiber supplement, and helps keep you regular for the long term (as long as you take it), it won't make you shit like crazy a couple times and stop you up again, it'll keep your poop closer to normal on a regular basis as long as you take it every day. Laxatives are not for long-term use, metamucil isn't a quick-fix for occasional constipation.
    Anonymous

• In addition to the first poster. Laxatives often cause severe cramping and pain in the lower belly. Metamucil often causes lots amounts of gas. Benefiber is a different fiber supplement that doesn't cause gas. It also doesn't get thick and nasty . Plus you can put it in anything. My Mom stirs it into her yogurt. I put it in my grandsons juice in the morning. I know 2 people who stir it into their coffee. It is tasteless, and not gritty.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Metmaucil is a fiber supplement to help regulate your body naturally. A laxative, makes you have a BM right away. Laxatives cause cramping and other issues. Benefiber is actually better than Metamucil. It is tasteless and not gritty. I mixed it in juice for my son when he was having issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If you drink plenty of water, get at least moderate exercise, and eat properly, you will not need any of this.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2009