Can people really levitate?

Numerous incidents of levitation have been recorded throughout history in almost every religion. Among the first was Simon Magus in the first century. Other incidents reported among the Roman Catholic saints include the incident of Joseph of Cupertino (1603-1663) and St. Teresa of Avila who reported levitating. She told of experiencing it during states of rapture. One eyewitness, Sister Anne of the Incarnation, said Saint Teresa levitated a foot and a half off the ground for about a half hour.

Incidents also have been reported in the religions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Milarepa, the great thirteenth century yogi of Tibet, is said to have possessed many occult powers such as the ability to walk, rest and sleep during levitating.

What causes this phenomenon? God? The mind?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's a simple mind over matter problem. All things have energy and all physical things have a gravitational pull, even humans. With great practice it is possible to cause the energy from your mind to reverse this gravitational pull which in turn lifts you from the surface you are on... Levitation. However, this isn't something that can be mastered by the average person. It takes years of intense training and discipline - something most of us aren't willing to put in for an outcome so small...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Yes people can.. Jesus did.. when He ascended to the Father. :-)
    Funny we were just talking about this on my facebook. Levitation can either be demonic or not... depending on why it is being done.
    A lot of Christians will freak out about this topic and think it is always demonic but remember Satan is the copy cat :-) He will take something good and turn it for evil.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Seems like the people- religious or not- who are capable of doing this are in some sort of 'trance-like state' when it happens and that it has to do with concentration and overwhelming desire, so I'm leaning towards it being what sabrina explained.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I used to agree with Sabrina when I could do it. The whole mind over matter stuff, you know.

But now I agree with Shaneagle 100%.

Honestly if it was something that took intense training and discipline, then you wouldn't have 10 year old girls acheiving it at slumber parties!!! LOL.

I used to be able to levitate through meditation, but I wasn't some yogi. I was just into some really demonic things.

(P.S. I KNOW you absolutely hate it when I chalk everything up to demons, LOL. But that is my experience. When you levitate, tell me how you did it!!! J/k)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009